well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Eat whatever the hell you want, experts be damned
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eat whatever the hell you want, experts be damned
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Vegetables.
Costco sells 1.5 pound bags of "Power Greens" -- baby kale, chard, and spinach. My typical dinner is a third of a bag (basically fill a two quart mixing bowl) of greens, one whole cucumber, and four fist-sized tomatoes. I don't use bottled salad dressing -- hidden sugar. I use two tablespoons of olive oil, some balsamic, a lot of herbs, some dried garlic and dried red pepper, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

When I'm done eating that, I wait about 20 minutes. If I'm still hungry, I have a piece of cheese or maybe meat if I have some ready to eat (I've been grilling!).

Yes, it would probably be better to be eating veggies throughout the day, but the salad bar at work is disappointing and expensive and I've tried boxing up salad the night before to take with me for lunch, but it's a pain and it gets a bit soggy by the time I eat it.

I guess I could go back to my veggie chili and veggie curry to take for lunch. I used to make a couple gallons once a month or so. I just got out of that routine.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
isn't red meat associated with cancer?

I remember reading about that but IIRC it was mostly about meat that had been grilled at high temps.

How do you like boiled steak? Cool

Hahaha.

But I thought red meat was also bad for you because of all the hormones and excess antibiotics.

The marbling also concentrates them, as fat does in our own bodies.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
PJ, that salad idea sounds very smart.

I want to return to my long-term habit of having a veggie blend, which I somehow lost. Also got my fresh greens that way and also took the edge off my appetite throughout the day.

Those prewashed "Spring mixes" are awfully handy in countless ways and not having to wash them promotes my using them. Somehow washing lettuces often puts me off especially back when I used to dry them too with spinners.

Yes, I'm lazy.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Potato chips satisfy the low carbs, vegetable, high fat diet, yes?

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
PJ, that salad idea sounds very smart.

I want to return to my long-term habit of having a veggie blend, which I somehow lost. Also got my fresh greens that way and also took the edge off my appetite throughout the day.

Those prewashed "Spring mixes" are awfully handy in countless ways and not having to wash them promotes my using them. Somehow washing lettuces often puts me off especially back when I used to dry them too with spinners.

Yes, I'm lazy.

I feel guilty about the plastic bags/plastic boxes the prewashed mixes are in. But I know I won’t wash/use/eat the muddy greens that I buy by the pound. Those are just going to rot in my refrigerator drawer. Lesser of two evils?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

I feel guilty about the plastic bags/plastic boxes the prewashed mixes are in. But I know I won’t wash/use/eat the muddy greens that I buy by the pound. Those are just going to rot in my refrigerator drawer. Lesser of two evils?

You're right.

A perfect example of my compromising my principles, almost always in regards to a health issue.

One of these days, I want to do my weekly shopping with a mind to minimizing plastic and see just how many such "exceptions" there are. At least (thanks to Bernard's method*), I've finally gotten back into using the many cloth bags I have owned forever.

*Bernard described himself as going back to his car to get his cloth bags when he found checking out, he'd forgotten them.
The only drawback while recreating my good habit this way, was a few miffed shoppers behind me in line... Red Face

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I like spinach from Costco - that is triple washed. When preparing, my wife insists on washing again. OTH, if she's getting a salad from a salad bar, she has no qualms about eating the greens though I'm certain the salad bar takes their greens from nice plastic containers just like I do.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post