well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    YouTube Repair Videos

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YouTube Repair Videos
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
What did we do without these?

In the past few years I have been able to fix a number of things I would have had no idea how to fix before:

Clothes dryer with scraping noise
Washing machine with rust pieces falling in with clothes
Turn signal flasher in my truck (it's not as easy as it used to be - Ford dealer wanted $100s)
Air conditioner in my truck (repair shop also wanted $100's)
Garage door opener.
Smog device check engine light in my car
Printer
Dishwasher

What have you fixed lately?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
VW tail lights - VWs are always tricky...

Dishwasher clog

And not in the 'fix' category, but it is so easy to practice choral songs now with almost every song somewhere online!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Washing machine that wouldn't spin (broken plastic gear)

Car battery draining repeatedly (dealer diagnosed bad battery and then bad cables but he was wrong, kept happening). Not a YouTube video, but a mechanic who ran into the same problem on our model car and wrote it up in a blog.

Brush and clutch on our Dyson vacuum cleaner

Thermostat in our upright freezer

Replaced flails in our chipper

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Automatic garage door opener ... readjusted the start/stop threshold.

One refrigerator’s water dispenser.

Toilet tank leak ... had to change a rubber ring of some sort.

Various computer stuff.

Pretty sure that are lots more I don’t remember.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Kitchen sink sprayer that wouldn’t spray.
Leaking sunroof in a Ford Taurus (cleared clogged drains).
How to remove the hose on a Dyson upright vac. It wasn’t obvious, but after watching the vid, it took less than five seconds.

Getting ready to do the brake rotors on my Subaru. My only concern is if I have a frozen caliper, that would be a little outside my skill set to fix it rather than replace it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Getting ready to do the brake rotors on my Subaru. My only concern is if I have a frozen caliper, that would be a little outside my skill set to fix it rather than replace it.

I forgot to say that I replaced the lower ball joints on my Toyota - a much larger job than I would ever have tackled before. It didn't go all that well but I was able to get it done. It would have been way over my head without the videos.

It helps if you don't need to drive the car right away.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Head light replacement on a Prius

Replace a tall flag pole's rope (for my neighbor)

Sharpening the push mower

Fixing set of shorted outdoor string lights

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure I've used them for repairing bits on my bicycle, but can't remember exactly what.

When my 50-year-old hand-cranked coffee grinder was moving jerkily, I found a video about how to take it apart and clean it. It was easy, and I think the burrs had gotten misaligned. If I wanted, there was another video about how to take it all apart and professionally repaint it.

Recently our microwave oven door refuses to open. There are videos about that, but it may beyond my skill level to fix.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Cleaning the trap in my dishwasher (eeeeew)
Replacing the filters in my fridge

There are a LOT of youtubes out there for things I look up, like how to set up a specific statistical analysis in R, or SPSS or whatever. But unfortunately I find these to often be made by total gasbags who take a 5-minute tutorial and make it a 20 minute reflection on the state of statistics in general. Super frustrating!

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
statistical analysis in R, or SPSS

Yes!! I find this a lot with Excel stuff, Qualtrics, and the qual. software I use (NVivo). There's a lot of basic stuff, but usually I can't find the answer to my specific question and then I get angry because my uni's tech support doesn't have advanced software training options. suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I did once find a yootoob vid on how to finish a certain level in Angry Birds.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post