well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Great Courses

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Courses
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I got a catalog today from Great Courses. I can buy up to 5 courses for $35 each; the regular prices on these range from around $200 up to almost $400. You get the DVDs, workbooks, and access to the online versions.

I haven't checked the GC website yet, but I imagine there are reviews for the various courses. But as always, WTF is my go-to place for info...

Has anyone purchased any Great Courses? How's the quality of the instruction?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37954 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone purchased any Great Courses?

Hi

quote:
How's the quality of the instruction?

Depends on the instructor!! I like the guy who does the music classes .. Robert something? If you're curious, I'll find out.

I like John McWhorter...

There were some I didn't like and didn't finish.

Sorry, that's not very helpful is it!

I think the thing about the Great Courses is that, it's one-direction instruction (obviously) so if you're looking for something you can put on and listen to while doing other things (doing the dishes, on the treadmill), which is what I did, then they're great. But if you're planning to sit down at a desk with your notebook out, taking notes... then I think you might be disappointed because with that level of engagement, you're more likely to miss what you're missing.... if you see what I mean.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18542 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post