well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The biggest tragedy in gymnastics history

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The biggest tragedy in gymnastics history
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
https://youtu.be/2gMIvoaG6mE

She spent decades living in a machine like device and being cared for twenty-four hours a day.

Terrible.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
Is it graphic?

--------------------------------
Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Susan Dorris' teenage son was a gymnast. He died from a fall. I think his twin sister witnessed the fall. Susan was devastated and feared for her daughter, who was the twin of the gymnast. Her daughter took years to become close to normal.

I have not seen any sign of Susan here in a long time or I would not have posted this.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that about Susan's son. How unutterably sad.

I remember two terrible training accidents in Mississippi when I was in my twenties. One was a young man who at Ole Miss who became a quadriplegic while practicing on a trampoline. He died a few years later.

Another was a high school girl in my hometown who also became a quadriplegic with a break at the highest possible level. (C1?) I'm not sure whether she was ever able to breathe on her own. I don't know what became of her.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I was reading about spinal injuries, and the number one cause is diving accidents. Second is cycling.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, and male victims outnumber female by staggering margins in every sport they listed, except equestrian.

I saw this documentary once about two men who became quadriplegic, one from football and the other from flipping over the handlebars of his mountain bike. Very sad.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I had mad skillz (ok, I was a rank ameteur) but I did my last tumbling run at thirty-six for fear of breaking my spine.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post