well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Honolulu in the 1940s

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honolulu in the 1940s
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIOEHl_C9Q

--------------------------------
When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38203 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
A. That was less about Honolulu and more about showing thousands of Navy guys walking around or queueing. The ratio of Navy personnel to civvies seemed about 95 to 1.

B. Much of it was shot facing backward, into that car with loudspeakers in the roof. One wonders why.

Posts: 12756 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Everybody's a critic...so, Mr Ebert, how many stars do you give it? Big Grin

The description says the film is from the US National Archives but doesn't provide any additional detail.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38203 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How about Paris during the German occupation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyo_cmDJ61o

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That seems like someone's home movies -- at least for the first half. Always the same people walking toward the camera. One wonders if it was the German officer's video.

I first went to Paris in 1967. It looked pretty much the same as in this video from 27 years earlier. Lots of grime on the buildings from centuries of coal and wood smoke.

Posts: 12756 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you looked at the link to the source of the film, the US Holocaust Memorial Museum

https://collections.ushmm.org/...h/catalog/irn1003898

From the administrative notes:

quote:
The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum purchased five 16mm film reels called "Die Katze im Sack" from a flea market in Berlin, Germany via Juergen Matthaeus (Museum staff member) in September 2003. The original owner and subjects are unknown. It is likely that the films were collected and/or filmed by a Wehrmacht officer stationed in Paris in early 1940.

So your guess is as good as theirs!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I thought you meant the 1840's. Leaving

Posts: 25184 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post