well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How to handle "unsubscribe" options from a new email site writing me?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to handle "unsubscribe" options from a new email site writing me?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Can anyone please tell me how to handle a message from an unfamiliar email site, re the "unsubcribe" business?

I usually open my email inbox by deleting everything that doesn't interest me (mostly everything but appealing news, articles and personal correspondence). If I intend to read something later, I star it. When I see clear SPAM (odd fonts and symbols) I mark it SPAM - not just deleting it.

It's gradually dawned me that these new messages (often couched as announcements or news items) are from sites that may haunt me indefinitely if I just delete them. (In fact, they must have bought my address.)

I search for (and generally find) an "unsubscribe" link. To date, I've then clicked it. That usually leads me to a short survey that follows. (How many of their various publications do I still want to get? Why am I discontinuing them (one option is usually, "I didn't subscribe to this service" or simply "other")

They always ask for my email address (kind of odd, considering they just wrote me, no?).

I'm getting the funny feeling filling them out that I'm not necessarily getting removed from that site, but rather inviting their spreading around my email contact info - maybe selling it.

What's the sensible way to handle this kind of "almost spam" - that is, unsolicited news or sales pitches (say, a health-oriented site, claiming to offer info about lipid sources - and only sometimes, selling a product). SHOULD I CLICK THE UNSUBSCRIBE BUTTON or is that just inviting more such emails, either from that site or one they sell my email address to?

If I don't read that mini survey carefully, I note I may just be asking for emails of a different sort - maybe even more.

Should I just go back to simple deletions or is it worth getting involved in their unsubscribe options? Does it help or am I getting taken in?

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Can anyone please tell me how to handle a message from an unfamiliar email site, re the "unsubcribe" business?

I usually open my email inbox by deleting everything that doesn't interest me (mostly everything but appealing news, articles and personal correspondence). If I intend to read something later, I star it. When I see clear SPAM (odd fonts and symbols) I mark it SPAM - not just deleting it.

It's gradually dawned me that these new messages (often couched as announcements or news items) are from sites that may haunt me indefinitely if I just delete them. (In fact, they must have bought my address.)

I search for (and generally find) an "unsubscribe" link. To date, I've then clicked it. That usually leads me to a short survey that follows. (How many of their various publications do I still want to get? Why am I discontinuing them (one option is usually, "I didn't subscribe to this service" or simply "other")

They always ask for my email address (kind of odd, considering they just wrote me, no?).

I'm getting the funny feeling filling them out that I'm not necessarily getting removed from that site, but rather inviting their spreading around my email contact info - maybe selling it. That I may be getting taken in.

What's the sensible way to handle this kind of "almost spam" - that is, unsolicited news or sales pitches (say, a health-oriented site, claiming to offer info about how lipid sources - and only sometimes, selling a product). SHOULD I CLICK THE UNSUBSCRIBE BUTTON or is that just inviting more such emails, either from that site or one they sell my email address to? If I don't read that mini survey carefully, I note I may just be asking for emails of a different sort.
Should I just go back to simple deletions or is it worth getting involved in their unsubscribe options? Does it help or am I getting taken in?

Send them directly to junk mail and you’ll never see them again. I get some 100 pieces of junk mail every day and never see any of them.

If you use a fetch service like Outlook you may need to go to the site directly to flag the junk.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Do I understand that the "unsubscribe" option is never useful (to decrease unsolicited mail)?
If I already knew it was "junk mail" it would be easy, but some of them seem to be honest purveyors of whatever (e.g., best Netflix movies of the week).

Is "unsubscribe" always a come-on and to be avoided?

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Unsubscribe works for newsletters and things that you have joined...

Not so much for random things fishing for your business! You should be able to select some sort of filtering in how your mail is sorted so that you only see mail in your inbox from trusted sources. Everything else should then filter to your junk mailbox. Scan through daily to make sure nothing important has landed there! You don't need to open or delete, they should just go away when placed in the junk mailbox.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Huh. I have a Spam tab and have found that even if I designate an email as spam, that doesn’t prevent my receiving emails from the same sender.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Some spam filters are better than others. I can ditch most junk mail by marking it as spam in Outlook. Tougher cases require that I go back to my email provider (Yahoo) and flag them there. A few still get through but not many.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If I didn’t specifically request it, it’s spam.

I’ve missed a few things but not enough to worry about.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I never click on links in emails from someone I don't know. This is why:

quote:
Getting rid of all those pesky promotional emails is a key step toward decluttering your digital life. And if you're simply hitting "unsubscribe" on an email from a legit company, there's really no downside.

The problem is, scammers sometimes use fake emails with a phony "unsubscribe" link at the bottom. Click on the link, and you could land on a scam website or end up with spyware, or another type of malware, on your device.

quote:
So, here's what to do. If you remember signing up for the emails and you're sure they come from the actual business, go ahead and hit unsubscribe. Don't remember signing up for the emails or think the message looks fishy? Use the tools in your email program to label the message as "spam."...

Marking the email as "spam" will send future messages from the same sender straight to your spam folder. And it will get you one step closer to your goal: a decluttered inbox.

https://us.norton.com/internet...subscribe-links.html

At one point, I was getting emails from a particular domain name but the email address would change constantly. I set up filtering rules in my Yahoo mail to mark anything with that domain name (not just the email address, which is what the "mark as spam" feature does) as spam.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
At one point, I was getting emails from a particular domain name but the email address would change constantly. I set up filtering rules in my Yahoo mail to mark anything with that domain name (not just the email address, which is what the "mark as spam" feature does) as spam.

I didn't know you could do that. Thanks! ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, I just set up a Filter to say "send to Spam if From ends with X". That was a while back, when things seemed to be slipping past Yahoo's spam filter.

Lately Yahoo seems to have gotten a lot better at recognizing spam and I haven't had to set up any new filters for a while.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Here is an Atlantic article.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Here is an Atlantic article.

Glad to get an article providing info on how email marketing decisions are made!

However, search as I may I can't find any definitive advice about how to handle "unsubscribe". In one place it seems to suggest relegating a message to unsubscribe or the "trash" folder works, but elsewhere, that clicking on an email will lead to an increase from the source, as it "expresses interest".

And yet how can we ask for unsubscribe without opening it?

Besides which, alas, this only references email from stores (usually ones where we've already shopped) and nothing about other services we might want to discontinue.

(Wondering if requesting "unsubscribe" from one just leads the purveyor to sell our address - plus algorithm concerning us - to other services.)

I AM glad to learn there are standards advertisers have to meet to avoid getting sent to SPAM folder - also, it's interesting to gain insight on how these marketing methods are designed.

I think the big problem is that emailing is free and everybody likes to take advantage of freebies - especially with the plummeting of paper publications and rise of postal rates.

(BTW anyone have thoughts about the phenomenon of legit, personal emails getting lost in SPAM? All too often, I've happened upon such letters, some quite important, that I never received - some, years after the sending. Is it a standard part of email consumership to check the SPAM folder at least daily?)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I would not advise clicking on links in an email to unsubscribe, unless you are absolutely positively certain that the sender is legitimate. You could be clicking on a link that installs malware.

If you have registered with a company and/or purchased something from them, you can go to that website and unsubscribe by signing in. A lot of times just setting up the account signs you up for their emails. But don't get that link from an email; type in the address yourself.

I only started getting some spam emails a couple of years ago; until then I was literally spam-free. Guess whatever I had been doing was keeping me off the spam lists. Even now, they come in fits and starts. A lot of days the spam folder is empty.

I check my spam folder daily and delete anything that I find. I have only once had an important email, blood test results for our dog when she was sick, go to the spam folder. That's my main email address, which is under the Yahoo umbrella.

Google's Gmail seems to screw up more often.

Bazootiehead-in-training