well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    No thread about the House self-destructing already?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No thread about the House self-destructing already?
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
What scares me right now is the McCarthy is willing to give the Crazy 20 even more power than they already have, just to get the speakership.

I totally agree. The guy would kill puppies for that seat.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Off topic: Every time I see the thread title I read it as “No thread about the House elf destructing already?”

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Too funny, Dol.

From a friend:

"The only upside to this fiasco is I just realized I haven't had to read anything about Musk for 3 days."

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
And the chaos continues! McCarthy has already given away anything of value that holding the speakership carries. If he were to somehow get elected, it means that any yahoo can simply say, "nope" and stop any legislation in its tracks. In otherwords, total gridlock.

I think we need to realize that this has been a long-term goal of a LOT of people - destroy the federal government and move entirely to a states-rights based form of government. (That is, until you need federal funding for something, she said snarkily but correctly.)

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Too funny, Dol.

From a friend:

"The only upside to this fiasco is I just realized I haven't had to read anything about Musk for 3 days."

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I had no idea there is a House Clerk nor any clue as to what the position entails.

quote:
It had been three days of one failed vote after another for the Speaker of the US House, and the roomful of lawmakers were worn down into weary resignation. As Representative French Hill of Arkansas stood up to once again nominate Republican leader Kevin McCarthy, he started with a thank you.

"Let me express my deep appreciation, and appreciation of everybody in this room, for the work you're doing Madame Clerk," he said.

The House responded with a standing ovation - a rare display of bipartisanship and even rarer enthusiasm after a grinding few days in the chamber. Someone shouted: "Johnson for Speaker!" to rousing laughter.

Standing in position at the front of the chamber, House Clerk Cheryl Johnson clasped her hands, smiled politely and carried on.

Ms Johnson, the 117th US House Clerk, has become an unlikely celebrity in the political drama paralysing the House. And with her calm and firm demeanour, Ms Johnson and her gavel have at times felt like the only defence against total dysfunction.

Some House members this week have accidentally called her Madam Speaker, instead of Madam Clerk.

And Democratic Representative Ro Khanna of California tweeted Thursday: "She's been extraordinary without any rules passed and in having some sense of fairness and order."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64182563

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
This is great for the Dems. Let the nutters run the House for two years; cast them all as extreme; capture the house, senate and presidency.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Sure it's all fun and games now. Just wait until they have to vote on the national debt ceiling.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What was on the table during negotiations to get support for McCarthy.

https://thehill.com/homenews/h...ts-under-discussion/

Bazootiehead-in-training