well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Use of low-dose aspirin

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of low-dose aspirin
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
If you're healthy and don't have a history of cardiovascular disease, daily low-dose aspirin is no longer recommended as a preventive measure, says a new guideline released by the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology. The risks of internal bleeding and other side effects outweigh the benefits of aspirin in this group.

The new guideline, which was based on numerous recent studies, does not apply to people who have had a heart attack or stroke or who have undergone a bypass procedure. The recommendation to take low-dose aspirin therapy in this group is unchanged.

But for otherwise healthy people, it's better to stick with lifestyle changes to protect your heart. These include eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, healthy fat, lean meats, and whole grains; exercising regularly; and taking steps to keep blood pressure and cholesterol in a healthy range.

https://www.health.harvard.edu...dose-aspirin-therapy

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38010 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I can't take aspirin, even low-dose, because of the stomach effects. But, just two weeks ago, a lipidologist recommended that I try again.

I do remember my GP in Massachusetts telling me that a cardiologist she knows says that you can get sufficient therapeutic effect simply by licking an aspirin each day.

We'll see.

Posts: 45777 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Maybe low dose buffered aspirin would help your stomach problem.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25735 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I get tinnitus when I take aspirin.
Read recently does something positive with melanoma, which I have had trouble with.
Aspirin helps avoid melanoma or doubles the risk. Pick the study you like?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25735 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Maybe low dose buffered aspirin would help your stomach problem.

Tried. Failed.

Posts: 45777 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Read recently does something positive with melanoma, which I have had trouble with.
Aspirin helps avoid melanoma or doubles the risk. Pick the study you like?

Interesting. I am somewhat convinced that my tinnitis was caused by long term Tylenol and Motrin use -- not so much at high doses, but at the top of the OTC range for months at a time. I think I read somewhere that it was associated with NSAIDs.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Due to family history of heart disease and my own overall health sitch, my doctor told me to start taking an 81 mg aspirin every day a couple of years ago. I have been doing that.

I had one doctor prescribe a drug at a low dose every day to prevent a thing. A couple years later a different doctor practically shrieked at me that "NO ONE SHOULD BE TAKING THAT EVERY DAY" (despite the fact that I know she had prescribed exactly that to someone else).

I had one doctor tell me to eat more nuts. I had another doctor tell me not to eat any nuts.

And so it goes.

No wonder they call it "practicing medicine"... keep practicing and maybe, one day, they'll get good at it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Half an asperin a day here.

Dr still recommended as of last year. Family history of heart and strokes.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member SIPC
Minor Deity
Picture of markb
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's the salicylic acid that causes tinnitus (usually temporary) in some people. Salicylic acid is also an ingredient in Pepto Bismol and probably other medications. I don't think it's in ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

Posts: 14230 | Location: Merry Land | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post