well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Microfiber cloths
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microfiber cloths
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I can’t figure out why people like them. They’re non-absorbent and don’t seem to clean anything very well.

What am I missing?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34907 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Same.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18412 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think they work well, but have heard they are not environment-friendly.

They are soft enough to use safely on my piano’s satin finish, where formerly I had been advised to use only cheesecloth.

Effective as dusters, especially sprayed with water.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13807 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
They work well once you get them wet for scrubbing up stubborn oily things you need to get clean. I used them at the horse barn all the time. And I use them in the laundry room sink where I clean a lot of my art studio stuff.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20439 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
We use them everywhere, all the time, for just about everything. I find them to be quite versatile.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21333 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This make me wonder if I'm buying the wrong kind???

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18412 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.?

Mine are very absorbent. I use them all the time for piano work - small ones from the grocery store(I think) and larger ones from Costco.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7552 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I don't like them.

No, they're not absorbent.

Posts: 24704 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
They are really bad for the environment. I prefer not to use them. ( Microfiber pollution in the earth system )

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Everything went sideways when people stopped using cloth diapers. Nothing worked better than those, especially old ones.

Most of my cleaning rags are towels retired from service at beauty shops. We had a customer that supplied them, picked them up, washed them and brought them back. Every time we worked there I’d get a dozen or so of the ones too worn to send back out. I still have a big box of them.

Should last the rest of my life.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34907 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
This make me wonder if I'm buying the wrong kind???

we got ours at Costco.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
They are really bad for the environment. I prefer not to use them. ( Microfiber pollution in the earth system )

we wash and re-use, never throw them out. so... ?

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

It's the washing of them that's so bad. Every time you wash a microfiber, millions of the miniscule fibers are released (to my knowledge, at the moment they can't be filtered out, they're too small). It's a huge cause of shoreline pollution and affects marine life.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
They don’t immediately suck up water. But you can get them to - and once they are wet, they are really useful. But I get the microfiber thing, think polar fleece has the same issues?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20439 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

It's the washing of them that's so bad. Every time you wash a microfiber, millions of the miniscule fibers are released (to my knowledge, at the moment they can't be filtered out, they're too small). It's a huge cause of shoreline pollution and affects marine life.

They're working on ways to get microplastics and forever chemicals out of our water.

Microplastics:

https://phys.org/news/2024-04-...l-microplastics.html

And my alma mater is dealing with forever chemicals:

https://news.northwestern.edu/...y-simple-new-method/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37865 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post