well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Interesting editorial about euthanasia in Canada

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting editorial about euthanasia in Canada
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
It has a political slant but consider the source.

I still thought it was interesting.

I know disabled people die in the UK waiting for disability.

It would be naive to think the same isn't happening in the US.

I don't know what to make about this article. I'm not at all familiar with euthanasia in Canada.

Comments?

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
article?

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25754 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I am interested in the article as well.

My great uncle chose medically assisted death last year and it was a kind, gentle end that he got to choose for himself. I am very happy it is available here.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4103 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it’s this one:

https://apnews.com/article/cov...188d2bd2b5cfd360a867

My problem with this article is that they are mixing issues. The problems they raise about supports for folks with disabilities is true! However, to use it as an argument against MAID is problematic. The case they describe with Nichols sounds like his family didn’t agree with his choice. And that’s the way it goes. It is his life, and from the article it sounds like he had a number of ongoing health issues that impacted his quality of life. Just because his family didn’t like his choice doesn’t mean the right to die with dignity should be removed. I don’t know enough about the legal parts of it, and possibly there are parts that need to be looked at again. But I know my grandfather (he died after living in a nursing home for over a decade with ALS) wanted an option to end his life on his terms and it was denied because it was before the law came into effect. I want it to be available for myself, and the rest of my family, if any of us choose it.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4103 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'll try to find it again.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It was on the National Review (conservative outlet) website. I just remembered. I'll keep looking.

Dol, I'm looking forward to reading your link and comments. Thanks.