well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    At least it’s just a couple of days
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At least it’s just a couple of days
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
At 9 p.m. it’s 91 degrees with a 79 degree dew point. Heat index is 111. We get one more day of this and then things moderate going into the weekend.

I can’t imagine weeks and months of this kind of heat and humidity.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Ouch.

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yep, it’s been really bad here all week and tomorrow is supposed to be the worst, with a heat index around 110. But then it won’t be as bad on Friday, and then after that it should be much better.

Not looking forward to walking back and forth across campus tomorrow… -_-

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’m almost embarrassed to tell you how beautiful the weather has been in New York City lately.

Oh, and some rain every 4-5 days to keep the lawns and gardens lush.

Back in July we were thinking of installing an air conditioner in our bedroom, but it’s just been too darn cool and comfortable. Leaving

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
91 is about as far as I can go without being miserable.

Posts: 24791 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
RP, that's been our summer up until now. Nothing to complain about. Thankfully we should be back to that this weekend.

Daniel, it's the dew point that's a killer. But I'm with you on the temps; 90 is kinda my limit, too, and I'm much happier when temps are around 70. Big Grin

Steve, looks like Cleveland got some rain. How do things look by you?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
snicker

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
snicker

tsktsk (and I'm jealous....)

We just hit 100 here. First time since 2012. I hadn't realized it's been that long.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The heat index is 108F here right now. One of my classrooms is quite far away, walking there and back was a nightmare, and then later I had a meeting somewhere else, the 10 minute walk in this heat almost killed me.

Now I have a headache. Surprise.

Tomorrow was supposed to be cooler but now the forecast has shifted and it's not going to cool down until Saturday.

At least tomorrow I don't have to walk anywhere.

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We set a new record for high heat index. 120.

Previous record of 118 was set in 1995. I remember that summer; it was brutal. More than 700 people died from the heat.

https://www.chicagomag.com/Chi...5-Chicago-heat-wave/

(The article says the heat index got to 125 in 1995. I don't know if that's accurate or not.)

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We just came in from having a drink out on the deck 100 degrees. A little like a sauna...

We had our grandson today so took him to the Museum of Science and Industry - from our basement garage to the garage inside the museum, so the car was cool before and after.

We have memberships to most of the local museums and the zoo which includes free parking. That makes it really easy to just swing by for an hour or so and not feel like we have to "get our money's worth"!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7560 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
RP, that's been our summer up until now. Nothing to complain about. Thankfully we should be back to that this weekend.

Daniel, it's the dew point that's a killer. But I'm with you on the temps; 90 is kinda my limit, too, and I'm much happier when temps are around 70. Big Grin

Steve, looks like Cleveland got some rain. How do things look by you?

We got a bodacious little squall yesterday and I ended up driving through it with a piece of antique furniture unprotected in the back of the pickup. Slowed down to 25 to dodge tree branches and trash bins blowing across the road. The finish on the bookcase was ruined but I intended to strip it anyway so no real loss. By the time I got home the rain had stopped, I got it in the garage and was comfortably situated when the rain started again.

And rain it did! Thunder, lightning, the whole enchilada! We got 2.5 inches of rain overnight and enough thunder/lightning to carry us through 2024. Pretty cool, although the wind did blow the kayaks off of their storage shelves and all of the cushions off if the deck at the lake. No big deal - the AirBnB guests gathered everything up and seem happy to have had the experience.

Right now we’re down by Cincinnati at a Bluegrass festival and the weather is miserable, heat index around 105. We got a new RV though, and the A/C is large enough that we’re very comfortable

Mik, care to join us? Weather is supposed to relent over the next few days.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34990 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We set a new record for high heat index. 120.

HairRaising

That is just miserable.

As bad as it was here today, I am sure the fact that this campus is incredibly green and full of trees helped a lot down here!

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
It started thunder storming here yesterday at around noon. We had a break this afternoon starting around 4 but they are supposed to start again any moment. During the night it was just constant thunder rolling for HOURS. Really unusual (and we get lots of thunderstorms!). Local rain gauges are reading anywhere from 7-9 inches since yesterday noon. More rain on its way lasting til tomorrow mid morning.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Dol, that sounds quite intense! Hopefully it will calm down today!