well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Poison Ivy - help!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poison Ivy - help!
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I had some growing in an area with ivy groundcover. Didnt know what it was, so got a bad exposure. Sprayed poison ivy killer selectively over the course of the summer, focusing right on the plants. Hasn't come back in 10 years.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Grew up with this stuff. Targeted poison ivy specific weed killer and mechanical removal is what you need. Hire a reliable, recommended company to do the job. Do not do this yourselves unless it's a very small amount. You may lose some of your periwinkle groundcover. Oh well. You can always replant.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I don't trifle with poison ivy. When I was a boy, we almost killed my mother with poison ivy. We had an old fallen-down shed on the farm that was overgrown with poison ivy and we decided the easy solution was to burn down the shed and its poison ivy.

Unfortunately, the wind was blowing toward the house and my mother was in the kitchen on the windward side of the house with the windows all open in summertime. The smoke bore the oil from the poison ivy in that directions and breathing the smoke coming in the windows sent my mother to the hospital with internal poison ivy poisoning.

If you are careful to apply the herbicide directly to poison ivy leaves and avoid other plants as much as possible, you can pretty much eradicate it without a great deal of collateral damage. What little may be killed is quickly filled in by the adjacent plants.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7415 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Oh how horrid big al
I have heard of that happening here with the Finn community. Killed a guy from rash on his lungs.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Having a former home with miles of PI, I suited up with Platex gloves and pulled it, bagged it..Done it many times.

It is a vine and has runner under ground, climbs trees..get it while it is young (and its roots!)

PI was the one thing I had not been allergic to...So when our company volunteering job was to clear a bike path, I took on the PI, with coverage, gloves etc..

This was the time it was too much..I had a small patch..that was fine..however a week or so later..I broke out in a systemic allergic reaction...hives all over my body..OMG..

Steriods and antihistamines...I am more wary now.. Razzer

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Big Al, that’s terrifying!!

BL, yikes!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18569 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post