well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lunch money

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lunch money
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Head scratcher.

quote:
A public school district in Pennsylvania that faced a national outcry after threatening to place children in foster care over unpaid cafeteria debt has received several offers to pay off the entire delinquent meal tab, but school officials do not seem interested.

In a letter sent on July 9 to about 40 parents in the Wyoming Valley West School District in an effort to collect the debt, officials warned that if it went unpaid, "The result may be your child being taken from your home and placed in foster care."

According to Luzerne County Manager David Pedri, at least five donors have stepped forward willing to satisfy the $22,000 in debt accrued by dozens of students whose parents did not give them money to pay for the meals.

A prominent media figure is among those who has tried to settle the students' debt. An assistant to this person, who requested anonymity, told NPR that attempts to reach school officials were unsuccessful.

"These are gracious and kindhearted people, and I have forwarded their information over to the Wyoming Valley West School District for their review," Pedri said.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/24...icials-not-intereste

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37976 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I am curious about something, and I haven't seen anything in any of the stories I've read about it.

Is the failure to pay a bill for lunches a sufficient basis to justify taking a child from the home and placing that child in foster care? Failure to pay may be indicative of a concern about parenting. But I wouldn't imagine that failure to pay is sufficient, in and of itself, to justify removing a child from the home. Perhaps it is, but that would be ... unusual.

So, my view of the school district's action is this: it's blackmail. Blackmail to secure payment of a legitimate bill, but blackmail nonetheless, because I don't think the threatened action could reasonably be taken.

But perhaps I'm wrong. If so, I hope someone will link it.

Posts: 45763 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's what the school's letter said:

quote:
In one letter shared on social media and obtained by NBC affiliate WBRE, the parents are informed that their child has a balance of $75.25 and if they do not pay it, the parents could be reported to Luzerne County dependency court.

"Your child has been sent to school every day without money and without breakfast and/or lunch. This is a failure to provide your child with proper nutrition and you can be sent to Dependency Court for neglecting your child's right to food," the July 9 letter reads.

If the parent is taken to court, they risk their child being removed "and placed in foster care," according to the letter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...foster-care-n1031721

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37976 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The school district changed its mind and will accept the donations.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/24...ions-to-cover-lunch-

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Right, now that everyone is watching. Mad

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18586 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

Right, now that everyone is watching. Mad

Likely, after someone whose opinion matters called and said, "ARE YOU KIDDING?"

Posts: 45763 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
All this over $22K. Threatening primarily those who have far bigger problems than unpaid lunches.

An apology is not enough. Somebody needs an opportunity to expand their career horizons.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13565 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post