well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How well do protests work?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How well do protests work?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
They began in Missouri in 1819.
Progress?

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
First, I confess I only skimmed this very long article.

However, the message seems to be reiterated historic examples of how little various past protest movements have succeeded in their stated purpose.

I guess the only sure reply I have to CHAS' lead question, is that protests opposing social injustice, create a social and legal climate which are a LOT better than doing nothing about them.

Besides which, there have been major instances where the weight of history shows a groundswell of indignation and protest HAVE ended in major legislative change. Also a change in social attitudes.

Think women's suffrage and gay rights, to name only two.

Over time (usually much longer than it ought to take) persevering in protest DOES make a difference, even if in the short term, individual cases may not be resolved successfully. I think the issues become part of the social consciousness until the masses of the public take for granted the change in attitudes.

Much of the difference is made by how issues and protests are presented. In this regard, the present differs greatly from past protests (most of which are highlighted here) because of the effect of social media.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Yes.

But it is a marathon. Protests often succeed in shifting the conversation in the public.

Progress is slow and we are in a period of serious pushback spearheaded by the current president, so it may feel like 'nothing ever comes' from protesting.

I wonder - without the violence and looting, would this current round of protests just have been another blip in the news cycle? People are talking, people are writing, people are getting involved.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post