well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Eclipse 2024

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eclipse 2024
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
The coming eclipse of April 8, 2024 will be well observed from a town near my business interests in Missouri.
Tried to book a room and the websites are not yet accepting reservations for those dates.
I enjoyed the eclipse in 2017 and plan to see the one in 2024
The National Eclipse website has a lot of information. Suspect the site has self appointed itself to be the "National" website, but it is gathering a lot of information.
If you are still reading this I will be booking a room in Cape Girardeau, Missouri for April 7th to the 9th, when and if I can get one.
Join me?
You may recall that Cape Girardeau is distinguished by being the hometown of the late Rush Limbaugh. I recall seeing Flush Rush stickers on some cars, but have no doubt he was popular there.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Planning a trip to stay with family in Ohio.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
My home (and school) are in the path of totality (just barely - totality will last about 2 minutes at my school and just 39 seconds at my home!) We are an early dismissal school so totality doesn’t occur until about 45 minutes after dismissal. I will likely try to host a viewing party for families on school property so kids can see the whole thing rather than be on a bus when it happens!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I believe that we'll be able to drive to totality.

Quirt is not sure this is such a big deal, but I'm taking him anyway. I've seen two total eclipses, and this is not just a thing for astronomy nerds.

I believe it is the most spectacular natural phenomenon I've ever seen.

Since we're probably all viewing it from land, I'll say to be prepared to drive out from under clouds. I was on a ship the first time, and they just took us to where the clouds weren't. The second time, I got a hotel room for my friend and me way in advance, but the forecast was bad. We set the alarm ridiculously early, checked the sky and set out in the dark for a place on the eclipse path that had a chance to be clear. We thought we'd found the place, a rest stop along the internet where a lot of other people were hanging out, which was kinda fun. But the clouds rolled in and we had to get back in the car, eventually leaving the interstate and ending up in a tiny town where we parked the car by a soybean field, spread out a quilt to sit on, and got ourselves in place just in time.

Find a way to see it, if you can!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I saw the 2017 total eclipse at a winery, with friends. It was one of the most profound experiences I’ve ever had. I can see why people ages ago thought it was the end of the world. Sooooo cool.

GO DO IT!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh wow! I didn't realize there was another one so soon.

I saw the 2017 one and it was amazing! I might just be lucky enough to see this one as well!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We had people lined up to rent the lake house for that period next year. I couldn’t figure out why.

Now I know.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
We had people lined up to rent the lake house for that period next year. I couldn’t figure out why.

Now I know.

Had? Past tense? Or are they still scheduled?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
WTF Reunion/Eclipse viewing party at Steve's house next year!!!!!

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s rented for the week. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes to what AdagioM said. It's an extraction experience.

DO IT!!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Looks like a partial lunar eclipse here in NY tonight, all the more obvious because the moon is big and orange. Funny, no mention of it online or in the news.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post