well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Vaccine reactions and other weird stuff
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vaccine reactions and other weird stuff
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
So there have been seven cases of notable allergic reactions to the Pfizer vaccine that have made the news. Three were in Alaska, two in Juneau and one in Fairbanks. There may be others, but I haven't heard of them.

What got my attention were the other four cases, all of which occurred in Illinois. In fact, they all happened in a single hospital on a single day. There were lots of hospitals giving the vaccine at the same time.

Does that seem a bit improbable, statistically speaking? The hospital temporarily paused the program but resumed it after conferring with the CDC.

Confused

edit: Local coverage....

https://abc7chicago.com/covid-...on-allergic/8892188/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I would like to know what they mean by a "mild" allergic reaction (this term was used in the article you linked in your edit).

I think that there should be very explicit reporting... Was it a very dangerous and scary anaphylactic shock situation where the absence of immediate medical intervention would have led to death? (IIRC, I believe that is the case in at least of few of these cases which have made the news, maybe in the UK as well?)

And for the mild reactions, what were the details of the reactions (symptoms) and what treatment was administered?

Neither me nor my spouse has ever had a scary reaction to a vaccine, but at the very least, we will confirm that they have epi-pens and what ever else is needed on hand before we get the vaccine, and definitely stay there for however long is recommended (30 minutes?)

Ugh. I really hope that as more vaccines are administered, the number of reactions goes down. And I hope that this doesn't become a reason for a huge number of people to say "no thanks" to getting it at all!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Three had tingling and rapid heartbeat. The fourth was more severe and required a couple of treatments of epinephrine and was hospitalized overnight

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
1.1 million vaccinations and 7 reactions, one serious.

I’ll take those odds against the odds of my getting Covid any day.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Me too, Steve!

quote:
Three had tingling and rapid heartbeat.

So, IOW they didn't require any treatment and the reaction resolved on its own? That is *very* mild. I was thinking more like rashes or hives, something that require benadryl etc.

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s worth noting that people who have reactions are mostly people who have reactions to many things and likely carry an epi pen routinely.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Seems like there may be some confusion here. For the record, I am not recommending that anyone avoid the vaccine.

Sorry if I gave that impression.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Of course not, and I agree that the adverse reactions come only from two states is puzzling.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
It’s worth noting that people who have reactions are mostly people who have reactions to many things and likely carry an epi pen routinely.

Epi pen is one sign not to have the vaccine, so I have read. But then they qualified that. Phew... I have one just in case of a bee sting.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My kid has had allergies in the past, and as a result he took allergy shots for about a year. It was protocol that we had to wait in the doc's office for, um, 20 minutes after each shot to confirm that he wasn't going to have a significant reaction. (he didn't)

I'm guessing that will be protocol for "civilian" vaccines, but even if it isn't it's something we can all do. On the other hand, I did see a photo of a drive-thru vaccine setup, which may have been some sort of stock photo of something else.

I guess my point is that allergic reactions are very uncommon but not unheard of. And to other's points, if you routinely carry an epi-pen, you're likely to be aware that you are prone to reactions, and what your triggers are.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Seems like there may be some confusion here. For the record, I am not recommending that anyone avoid the vaccine.

Sorry if I gave that impression.

You did not give me that impression. More just a general recognition that some people will glom on to this info (vaccination reactions) as a reason (or excuse) not get vaccinated.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
See, there is a lot of value in waiting.

The takeaway for me is to make sure I get the shot in a facility that has proper precautions in place in case I have a reaction. That's a medical facility, not Walgreens.

I sympathize with people who feel like they need to get a vaccine because they cannot limit their contact with people outside their households.

Those of us who can avoid exposure by social distancing and masks would be wise to do that until all of the side-effects are known and addressed.

I mean, right now, we're only talking about side effects known within 30 minutes of the vaccine. Who knows what the long-term effects are? I need more information than what is currently available.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
As with everything, there is a personal ROI calculation you need to make. This one gets more complicated, in my opinion, because the virus is active and everywhere. To me, that swings the needle pretty far over to "take the vax."

There have always been two reasons to vaccinate: 1) the personal protection; 2) herd immunity. Both are front and center today with covid. There is always a risk, but immediate side effects seem to be limited. Longer term are obviously not yet known, but the same could be said for polio, smallpox, etc. At some point you need to accept the risk, even as we accept the risk that we might die in a car accident whenever we get into the car, we might be struck by lightning, etc.

We will need to continue to social distance and use masks for months afterward, regardless, because the virus won't be eradicated until we've achieved herd immunity to a significant degree, all of which takes time.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The FDA advisory committee reviewing the new Moderna vaccine has noted a specific side effect involving several trial participants who have cosmetic facial fillers.

Local board certified dermatologist Dr. Shirley Chi explains what the FDA committee noted.

"In these cases the patients all had swelling and inflammation in the area that was given the filler. A couple of the patients had cheek filler six months prior to their vaccine and one patient had lip filler done two days after the vaccine. All were treated with steroids and anti-histamines and all of their reactions resolved," she said.

Millions of people have physician administered cosmetic facial fillers to smooth out fine lines, wrinkles and to enhance cheeks and lips. Chi says the reaction to the vaccine is immunological.

"Your immune system which causes inflammation is revved up when you get a vaccine, that's how it's supposed to work. So it makes sense that you would see an immune response in certain areas where they see some substance that is not a naturally occurring substance in your body" says Chi.

Chi also says to not let this stop you from getting the vaccine when your turn comes up and that all the derma fillers reactions were easily treated by medical personnel.

https://abc7.com/covid-19-pand...ide-effects/9012113/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
A doctor in Boston had a severe allergic reaction to the Moderna vaccine. He had to give himself an epi pen shot.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post