well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Advice in dealing with isolation from an expert.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice in dealing with isolation from an expert.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Astronaut Scott Kelly

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...virus-isolation.html

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33799 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Great article.

quote:
We are all connected

Seen from space, the Earth has no borders. The spread of the coronavirus is showing us that what we share is much more powerful than what keeps us apart, for better or for worse. All people are inescapably interconnected, and the more we can come together to solve our problems, the better off we will all be.

One of the side effects of seeing Earth from a the perspective of space, at least for me, is feeling more compassion for others. As helpless as we may feel stuck inside our homes, there are always things we can do — I’ve seen people reading to children via videoconference, donating their time and dollars to charities online, and running errands for elderly or immuno-compromised neighbors. The benefits for the volunteer are just as great as for those helped.

I’ve seen humans work together to prevail over some of the toughest challenges imaginable, and I know we can prevail over this one if we all do our part and work together as a team.

Oh, and wash your hands — often.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you, jon.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve found that most problems aren’t rocket science, but when they are rocket science, you should ask a rocket scientist.

This! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Peggy Whitson adds her advice:

quote:
To smooth the way, astronauts prepare well in advance for the pressure on interpersonal relationships. "We actually train our astronauts to improve those skills because we want everyone to play well with others on board the space station," she said. "You don't get to pick your crew, you're just going to be up there and you have to make the best of whatever situation."

Plus, of course, the stakes are awfully high. "Our lives depend on each other, so it's important," Whitson said.

quote:
Whitson added that a major factor that helps astronauts to stay positive in their environment is "a higher purpose," or the greater meaning of their work. But, while astronaut's work helps to advance human knowledge and exploration, Whitson said that our current homebound situations have a higher meaning as well.

"COVID-19 gives us a higher purpose much like being in space does because we are saving lives by quarantining," she said. "It is important to understand that bigger purpose and to embrace that purpose to give you reason and rationale for continuing to put up with the situation."

quote:
Lastly, to those who are getting bored or restless at home, Whitson said that, on the space station, "I would do the extra work that I'd been thinking about doing." She suggested that people at home ask themselves, "What are the things that you would do if you had more time? Is it to read? Is it to maybe write poetry or do art? What is it that has been the thing that has been in the back of your head?"

https://www.space.com/astronau...ion-coronavirus.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post