well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ask the person after you a random question
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ask the person after you a random question
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
[Amanda, you are kind. And credit to Steve for asking the question first.]

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Amanda, I still am not completely sure death is final and inevitable. I’m hoping to find an escape hatch.

If you could eat only one food for dinner for a month, what would it be?

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Int
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Amanda, I still am not completely sure death is final and inevitable. I’m hoping to find an escape hatch.

Interesting, Cindy. I hope for some continuity myself, but I guess I was aiming at the inescapable fact that the body itself terminates (and before that, apparently memory too - though I didn't realize that part as a child). The awareness of dementia and memory loss - even amnesia - certainly challenges me if I want to retain faith in any kind of personal continuity.

If even while the body is alive, people can lose their own sense of self and recall of their most intimate relationships - well, that's extremely sad, to say the least. (I've often thought of the tragedy of children - still young, especially - struggling to cope with a parent stricken with amnesia. From trauma or a brain disease.)

It's bad enough for a spouse, but to think of children faced with a parent who doesn't remember them - not even their birth - it's gut-wrenching.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Not sure if this “one dish” qualifies as “one food,” but I suppose I can say mixed green salad with sesame ginger soy dressing topped with almond encrusted grilled salmon.

If you can and must impose everlasting life to exactly one human, other than yourself, who is still alive today or has ever lived in recorded history and would otherwise be mortal, whom would it be?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
The words "can and must" and "impose" are prejudicial in directing a response.

It starts off with the tacit assumption that everlasting life is undesirable (a punishment is "imposed".)

Indeed, without any caveats about everlasting good health and even retaining the appearance of youth, it does indeed sound like a terrible fate (especially because one's family and social circle would have perished along the way).

I can't think of anyone I would be willing to doom to infinite longevity, in a presumably aging (and increasingly decrepit) body. Mind too, since it wasn't specified otherwise. What a curse.

I briefly considered Trump, but immediately shied away for fear that he might become even more of a cult leader than now even if he were scarcely, if at all, functioning.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post