well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Piano Placement - Final Version??

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano Placement - Final Version??
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Well, I think I may have figured out the piano placement...

I got out some old curtains and used them to simulate the rug, and used the back side to simulate the piano. We laid out the "rug" and made sure it was to size (8x10) and then did our best to mimic the piano's foot print (the curve is pretty iffy, but the overall length and width are accurate-ish at 5'8" length). And I brought my old bench.

Laying out the curtains with the piano straight in the room (i.e. with the piano's straight edge parallel to a wall), just looking at I can imagine that the sound will rattle around in there and be awful. So I definitely want to go with the angled placement.

So based on that, and on our experience of moving the curtain-template around on the floor, I think the best option, which was many people's favorite as I recall, is to have the rug vertical in the room and the piano at an angle.

Oh, and with this placement, the bottom left corner of the rug does not fall in the open doorway, so it should work.

Here's a better mock-up of this layout than my earlier versions, followed by some photos of the curtains laid out in the room.

What do you think??

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Yes, that looks inviting. It draws you in.

I think your actual bench is closer to the window than in your placement picture, and I think that’s good. Get everything as far “north” (close to the window end of the room) as possible while still having your bench on the rug; that will give you the most room to arrange any other furniture into the room.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9850 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I think that arrangement should work pretty well.

One question: is the floor register in the bay an air inlet or outlet? I don't see any other inlets or outlets is the room so I'm wondering what the air flow may be in that room.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7466 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
AdagioM, yes, re the bench, this isn't my actual bench, I just brought it to help me visualize, and I was going off of a generic "three feet extra." But when we do the actual placement, I will measure from the back end of my bench to the end of the keyboard and figure out how much room I need to keep both legs on the carpet (with a little wiggle room) but have the piano pushed as close towards the window as I can.

quote:
One question: is the floor register in the bay an air inlet or outlet? I don't see any other inlets or outlets is the room so I'm wondering what the air flow may be in that room.

Al, that's an outlet. I think in the winter, I'll just close that vent. But in the summer, I'll put dampers on the vent (those clear ones) so that the air blows toward the wall/window. I think it should work ok.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post