well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Microwave Oven vs WiFi

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microwave Oven vs WiFi
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
DD said that her wifi keeps slowing down or dropping when the microwave is running.

I tried it with my iPad this morning and I think she's right.

She said her dad told her that that happens when the oven is leaking microwaves.

The oven is five or six years old. It's the Panasonic countertop one Costco sells - we paid about $120.

I downloaded a "microwave leak detector" app for my iphone. It has no instructions, just a button that says "start checking". It shows a leak when I hold the phone near the side of the oven. But it gives me the same results whether the oven is on, off, or even unplugged. And I can get the same results by holding a magnet to the back of the phone. So I don't have a lot of faith in the app.

For a $120 oven, I don't feel like taking it to an appliance place that will charge me $100 to have them check it. I can just buy another one (they are now $140).

Any ideas before I just replace it?

Then, I'm not comfortable putting this one on craigslist. According to the interwebz, leaky microwaves can cause cataracts and damage testes.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Method 2 sounds interesting.

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Microwave-for-Leaks

Be sure to unplug the microwave....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post