well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I learned something new

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I learned something new
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
What a Schengen area is.

quote:
In a speech Wednesday, President Trump announced a ban on travelers from Europe. This led to a lot of initial confusion over what Trump meant by “Europe,” and whether trade in goods was banned too (Trump said it was, but the White House quickly clarified that this was not the case). Trump also said that the United Kingdom would be exempted from the ban, prompting a lot of speculation as to what exactly was going on. It turns out that the ban — and the exception for the United Kingdom — is not quite as arbitrary as it sounds. Trump’s ban extends to countries in the so-called “Schengen area,” an area that includes most states that are members of the European Union (as well as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland). The Schengen area does not include the UK or the Republic of Ireland, whose Taoiseach (prime minister) is meeting Trump Thursday for the traditional presentation of a bowl of shamrock. So what is Schengen, and why has the Trump administration targeted it?

this is a WaPo article on MSN. Can you get to it?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news...s-is-why/ar-BB115ooC

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
thanks - yes, I was able to see it!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I did learn things from that article.

Posts: 45750 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
[brag]I learned about it a few years ago when I flew from Frankfurt to Warsaw and on to Krakow and nobody asked to see my passport. I was a little bummed not to get an arrival stamp in Poland.[/brag]

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
But why are Britain and Ireland not included in I-1's travel ban?

Oh, wait... he owns golf courses (that are failing miserably) there.

Hmmm... just like his tariffs on Chinese goods specifically excluded the products that Ivanka has made there.

Corruption, thy name is Trump.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post