well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Loss of smiing

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loss of smiing
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
There's been a great deal of talk (opinion pieces) about the multitude of losses we social animals suffer from the isolatinon of the restrictions, but there's an important one I've not heard about.

Yes, the inability to shake hands, hug, and read expressions on Zoom is a disability for us, especially those who live alone. (I think it may most affect those struggling to maintain sobriety through 12-step programs - something I think about much because of a family member who depends on attending several meetings a week. NOT the same on-line!).

But I mind the inability to communicate with smiles. On the few times when I'm out, walking, shopping, whatever, I pass a fellow-traveller and find myself desperately wanting to reach out with a smile 6' apart or not. Of course, it's quite impossible with a mask on. Early on, once I actually said to a genial elderly gent who smiled at me in a hail-fellow-well met fashion (this was before masks were obligatory), and I finally said: "I'm smiling behind this" - pointing to the mask.

Humans NEED to communicate with smiles and they are universal - a sign of friendliness and good intentions, especially to strangers. I tried to draw a smile on my N95 mask with a magic marker but the material wouldn't take it (n.b. I just happen to have it from a long-ago painting job). I'm sure there are DIY masks with expressions and humorous characters, but I don't want to search the net and buy some, at this point.

I DID want want to mention this sorely felt loss to our social experience, though. It definitely contributes to our sense of isolation and loss in these trying times.

Any of you have any thoughts to share about this?

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I saw somewhere that there is a hospital where they pin doctor's and nurse's pictures on their gowns. because patients can't see their faces behind a mask.

Brilliant!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post