well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Big Ten cancels fall sports
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Ten cancels fall sports
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Mid-American and Mountain West already did. Others considering what to do.

quote:
Big Ten Conference presidents and chancellors voted Tuesday to postpone all fall sports seasons, including football, with the hopes of playing in the spring, it announced Tuesday.

"The mental and physical health and welfare of our student-athletes has been at the center of every decision we have made regarding the ability to proceed forward," Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren said in a statement. "As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall.

"We know how significant the student-athlete experience can be in shaping the future of the talented young women and men who compete in the Big Ten Conference. Although that knowledge made this a painstaking decision, it did not make it difficult. While I know our decision today will be disappointing in many ways for our thousands of student-athletes and their families, I am heartened and inspired by their resilience, their insightful and discerning thoughts, and their participation through our conversations to this point. Everyone associated with the Big Ten Conference and its member institutions is committed to getting everyone back to competition as soon as it is safe to do so."

https://www.espn.com/college-f...fall-football-season

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It appears that the Commissioner of the Big Ten drove this decision because of his personal concern about possible lifelong cardiac complications from infection.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
possible lifelong cardiac complications from infection

You mean he has some redeeming, human qualities? Wow.

I am still waiting for our conference and our uni in particular to step up...

BTW, I sometimes help our tennis program with their translation needs (they periodically try to recruit players from Japan) and this year, they finally succeeded in getting one of their target players to agree to come here. I no zero about the tennis schedule, but I imagine it would be impacted. More to the point though, I cannot imagine how his parents feel thinking about sending him to the US in the middle of this sh*tstorm pandemic.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
PAC-12, too.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:

You will wait long, I fear. Clemson would only cancel under extreme duress.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Three things this might foreshadow, in declining order of likelihood but not into total fantasy:

1. Emmert is toast
2. College athletes will be represented (legally) by agents and unionize
3. NCAA is dissolved or significantly reconstituted

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Once one of the Power Five conferences folds, the value of the big-money contracts falls, as does the value of post-season games that involve huge payoffs to the schools. Now that the big 10 is out, this should lower the cost of pulling out for the next one in line. Ultimately, we'll be down to the SEC playing itself, largely for a pittance of COVID-reduced gate receipts and local TV.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

You will wait long, I fear. Clemson would only cancel under extreme duress.

The pressure is mounting, and it's called potential liability. You cannot claim that you chose the gold standard course of action when two Power Five conferences canceled their schedules. Given the potential for long-term cardiac, respiratory, and neurological issues, the possible liability is huge. Just wait until the governing boards of these universities start hearing from their lawyers about the magnitude of the potential risk. Given the Big Ten and Pac 12 cancellations, the plaintiff's bar will be salivating.

Imagine if counsel starts warning those boards about the limitations of the liability insurance and their potential personal liability.

I imagine the schools will try to get the players to sign liability waivers. I'd be warning them that there's a decent chance those liability waivers won't hold up.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
In an email to Sports Illustrated, prominent college sports attorney Tom Mars offered this chilling view of what the Big 12, ACC and SEC could be getting into:

“Whatever conference(s) decides to play football this fall will be taking a ridiculously high risk they may soon regret. I know and have talked with some of the best plaintiff’s lawyers in the country this week, and they’re praying the SEC, Big 12 and/or the ACC are greedy enough to stay the course. If things go sideways, the plaintiff’s Bar will immediately get their hands on the internal financial analyses of the schools (a FOIA layup), get the conference financials through the discovery process, and then just stand in front of the jurors and point to the conferences that decided not to risk the health of their student-athletes. Good Lord, I’d hate to be the lawyers defending those cases.”

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
The Big 12 is hanging tight.

We just got an e-mail clarifying the schedule, which is reduced to one out-of-conference game.

Oh, and we also just got an email about the "Welcome, Freshmen!" event. It'll be held in the football stadium and masks are required. Extra seats will be blocked off to enforce social distancing. However, there will be food that attendees can eat in their seats, so maybe the masks are only for entering and exiting?

What could possibly go wrong?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It'll be held in the football stadium and masks are required.

HairRaising

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
How many kids die before they shut it all down?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This morning I saw a headline to the effect that some voters are blaming Trump's handling of the virus for OSU's canceled football season.

Hope they remember that on Nov. 3rd!

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Quirt, what makes you say there is a good chance the waivers wouldn't hold up?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post