well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Harrumph!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harrumph!
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted
quote:
I will only remark here, that wind instruments, including the human voice, and stringed instruments, capable of continuous sound, have generally a beneficent effect–while the piano-forte, with such instruments as have no continuity of sound, has just the reverse. The finest piano-forte playing will damage the sick, while an air, like “Home, sweet home,” or “Assisa a piè d’un salice,” on the most ordinary grinding organ, will sensibly soothe them–and this quite independent of association.

--Florence Nightingale, 1860: Notes on Nursing

Yikes.

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I wonder if she is talking about the limitations inherent in the piano, that it is dependent on how it is tuned, and that the keys can only play certain frequencies, and cannot play the infinite frequencies that exist in between the keys.

Whereas a stringed instrument has access to everything possible in tones.

This is something I explored in my book. Michael Harrison talked about this a lot in the chapter "Revelation" and I described his unusually tuned piano that produced pure intervals. There are virtually never pure intervals in a conventionally tuned piano, which means there is always some level of discord.

It's an interesting experiment in physics to tune a piano to overcome this.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like she is referring to the capacity of an instrument to sustain notes one into the next without decay of sound. But the "grinder organ" I don't get, as it's inexpressive and almost too continuous, with no "breathing."

I would suppose her comments represent her observations with patients.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13889 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Fiddler Bruce Molsky said the fiddle has no frets which gives it all the notes in the world.
That is the good news.
He also said that most of those notes are the wrong ones.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25850 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Fiddler Bruce Molsky said the fiddle has no frets which gives it all the notes in the world.
That is the good news.
He also said that most of those notes are the wrong ones.

Smiler Smiler Smiler

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35083 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The ancients considered stringed instruments superior to wind. (Not at all sure they were talking about the human voice). So, I think they would have considered a piano as akin to a harp. Not sure how or if this relates to the quote.

Posts: 25287 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Interesting quote, Bernard.

quote:

I don’t know enough about the history of piano development to be able to guess how much of her comment might have been due to limitations of the instrument at that time.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Which would you rather listen to while lying sick in bed:

Bagpipes vs. Banjo

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12732 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Interesting quote, Bernard.

quote:

I don’t know enough about the history of piano development to be able to guess how much of her comment might have been due to limitations of the instrument at that time.
I think they were pretty well developed but not like the behemoths of today…though closer to today’s pianos than Mozart’s.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13889 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Which would you rather listen to while lying sick in bed:

Bagpipes vs. Banjo

Banjo!

I like bagpipes, but they can be overbearing. Banjo music is happy music. How could you remain sick in bed with happy happy banjo music?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9852 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Banjo.

Much use of it in Delta blues.

Bagpipes? I think His Majesty King Charles III gets woken up by a man playing the bagpipes.

Not my ideal alarm clock.

How about this scenario instead?

I'm not sick in bed!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Joe, I love ancient music performed on period instruments with original performance techniques.

It's a hobby of mine to listen to it.

But when it comes to the piano-- never!

I can't stand it.

I'm also not a fan of the harpsichord.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I wonder if she is talking about the limitations inherent in the piano, that it is dependent on how it is tuned, and that the keys can only play certain frequencies, and cannot play the infinite frequencies that exist in between the keys.

Whereas a stringed instrument has access to everything possible in tones.

This is something I explored in my book. Michael Harrison talked about this a lot in the chapter "Revelation" and I described his unusually tuned piano that produced pure intervals. There are virtually never pure intervals in a conventionally tuned piano, which means there is always some level of discord.

It's an interesting experiment in physics to tune a piano to overcome this.

There is certainly something about having the whole spectrum of frequencies under one's control, to bend and tweak into gorgeous harmony. But I do wonder if Ms. Nightingale has perhaps succumbed to a bit of exaggeration? I would think, given today's techniques, one could devise a decent study to see if pure intervals have greater healing power than impure ones.

But, she holds up a grinding organ as a better example than 'the finest' piano-forte playing and a grinding organ is not continuous of sound, it's tempered in one way or another.

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Sounds to me like she is referring to the capacity of an instrument to sustain notes one into the next without decay of sound. But the "grinder organ" I don't get, as it's inexpressive and almost too continuous, with no "breathing."

I would suppose her comments represent her observations with patients.

I, too, initially thought she was referring to the ability to sustain.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
LOL, CHAS! Big Grin