well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    DNC Unity Fund
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DNC Unity Fund
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Funds for Dem nominee

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The put your money where your mouth is fund for people who want to elect Joe Biden literally don't care who it is the Democatic Party nominates.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
The put your money where your mouth is fund for people who want to elect Joe Biden literally don't care who it is the Democatic Party nominates.

If Bernie wants to run as a Dem he should raise money for the Dems like every other Dem candidate.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:

If Bernie wants to run as a Dem he should raise money for the Dems like every other Dem candidate.

So tell him (or his supporters). The Democratic establishment is supporting Joe Biden. Do think they are not?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:

If Bernie wants to run as a Democrat he should BE a Democrat. Not, I'm a Democrat when I need to be a Democrat for electoral purposes, but otherwise I don't want to be a member of your stinkin' party.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
There is a bit of a disconnect there, yes.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The unity fund is a great idea. Vote for whoever you want in the primary. Fund whichever candidate you want. But then support whoever wins the nomination.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you think that building this fund for the party to use once the dust of the primaries has settled is a disreputable idea? Some sort of conspiracy of the elites to do in Bernie? I don't understand your point.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I have a romantic attachment to the Democratic Party. I guess I should get over it and become an Independent. The primary process in 2016 was a debacle. The DNC was utterly corrupt. In any case, there is no way that I will support a candidate without even knowing who it is yet.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That's fine. Don't contribute.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
People who cannot say they will support the party's nominee, based on who the nominee might be (or, more accurately, might not be), aren't really Democrats. They're opportunists.

I do have a "Roy Moore" exception to that principle. But that's more about nominating someone fringe-y and way outside of the mainstream, rather than squarely within it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
People who cannot say they will support the party's nominee, based on who the nominee might be (or, more accurately, might not be), aren't really Democrats. They're opportunists.

I do have a "Roy Moore" exception to that principle. But that's more about nominating someone fringe-y and way outside of the mainstream, rather than squarely within it.

That's rich coming from the man who voted for John McCain. hysteric

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

That's rich coming from the man who voted for John McCain. hysteric

Apparently, you missed the point.

I wasn't prepared to vote for any Democratic nominee that year. It had nothing to do with the identity of the Democratic nominee and everything to do with the identity of the Republican nominee. I believed, and I was proven correct, that a Democratic nominee would not be able to work with Congress. And Obama, while I greatly admire him as a President, was unable to do so. The Republicans stonewalled him.

The part that I was wrong about was that I expected Social Security to be a looming crisis. I knew that Obama would never be able to solve it (because of Republican unwillingness to work with him), and I had hopes that McCain would be able to do so. But, as it turns out, it wasn't a looming crisis. It's still a more distant crisis.

So, your snark aside, McCain is the only Republican I can remember voting for in my lifetime. I voted for him because of who he was, because I admired him (although he had his terrible inconsistencies), and because I thought he'd be better for the country.

And you will note that I didn't vote third party, and I didn't stay home, like all the Bernie supporters with their temper tantrums. There were two choices with a realistic chance of winning, and I voted for one of them.

And then I voted for Obama four years later.

People who sat out a choice in a fit of pique have no excuse. They are fully responsible for what has happened. And, just like a criminal who doesn't get a shorter sentence when they don't show remorse, I have no sympathy or forgiveness for people who still insist that they were right, after having seen what we have seen over the past two years.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

Do you think that building this fund for the party to use once the dust of the primaries has settled is a disreputable idea? Some sort of conspiracy of the elites to do in Bernie? I don't understand your point.

We cross posted. No, my point is the DNC was an arm of the Clinton campaign in the last primay.

I have another point. Demanding pledges of party loyalty is more fit for the old USSR than for a democracy. Oh, wait. This point was meant for Quirt. Leaving

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

We cross posted. No, my point is the DNC was an arm of the Clinton campaign in the last primay.

I have another point. Demanding pledges of party loyalty is more fit for the old USSR than for a democracy. Oh, wait. This point was meant for Quirt. Leaving

Again, more snark, and more off-point snark. The old USSR was a one-party system. If you weren't a member of the party, you were frozen out of the government entirely. Aside from the fact that we are a two-party system, you don't have to be a member of one of those two parties to be a member of the government. Look no farther than a Senator named Bernie Sanders, who didn't run as a member of either of the two parties, and yet was elected.

And I'd be delighted if he'd remain in whatever party he feels best suits him.