well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anyone else watching PW melt down?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else watching PW melt down?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
There’s a bit of a melt down going on in the Piano Forum at PW right now. There was a huge uproar when new, very ETA intrusive ads started taking over the site. This naturally led to some threads about it, and someone made a new site in case people wanted to leave PW. That much was fine, but one of the moderators, Gombessa, I guess was promoting use of ad blockers, so the new site owners not only removed him as moderator, but also completely banned him from the site. People are up in arms about it and suddenly a whole bunch of people have joined the new site.

Here’s the thread about the banning:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/u...opics/3521059/1.html

Here’s the new site if anyone is interested:
https://forum.pianotell.com/

I will be really sad if/when PW implodes. Frank selling the site truly started the end of an era.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
No, but just checked it out, those ads are awful!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I have not been following PW closely, but I have noticed the proliferation of ads. Very annoying, as they pop up in the middle of threads and elsewhere.

I’m beginning to see the virtue of paid sites.

By the way, SK, instead of “instructive” in your first sentence, I’m sure you meant “intrusive.”

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13882 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some discussion about VerticalScope on another forum. Would explain a lot.

quote:
Another thing you should read about VS. It isn't a forum platform. It's a data-collecting agency that uses the forum as a front to generate traffic. Read the privacy policy and user agreements. Once you log in, it has permission to access your memory, HD, browser history, and scan your network for its configuration. You also have zero rights to what you publish as it instantly becomes copyrighted property of VS. Technically, if you cross post something on a VS forum, and then copy and paste it here, you have committed a federal crime. Once you agreed to that checkbox, you also gave up your right to legal recourse. If they want to take legal action against you, you have agreed that you can't use the courts, you have to use arbitration.... THEIR arbitration to settle. Clicking a checkbox on VS more or less signs away every right you have pertaining to your activity on that site.

It's a money and data farm. You log in, it scans your everythings, and populates the page with ad banners which make them money. Then later they take the data they've collected and sell it. The average human generates something like $23 worth of saleable data every day. They're not offering you a forum, they're letting you offer up your data for sale.

It should be noted that many forums do this, just not as purposefully as VS does. Back in the day, VBulletin caught on to the trick of offering a product (a forum platform) that they could monetize. VS is a from-scratch, ground-up data mining operation that later had the smart idea of making forum platforms as a way to get traffic. In the case of VB, their purpose was to offer a platform and they modestly monetized it. In the case of VS, they wanted to get in the data/ad game and they made a forum as a vehicle to do it.

quote:
I think the idea behind buying up these forums is to optimize them such that when people search for a certain topic like YZ125 fork oil or similar, the first hit will be one of their forums, and when you visit them you'll get hammered with advertising. Regular forum users are not what they're interested in, so if people leave en masse, they don't care. As long as they get (ideally) non member visits.

https://grassrootsmotorsports....lscope/189074/page2/

So VS doesn't care if all the current members leave. They'll get traffic from non-members looking for piano info. Those visits will generate revenue from the ads.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38202 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry for all of you for whom PW was such an important gathering place. This has to be tough.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38202 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I’m sorry for all of you for whom PW was such an important gathering place.

and it never was for you? how did you end up here, then?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21536 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

I only learned of PW and WTF when I joined TNCR in 2008 or so, several years after the OCR was shut down. I’m not a member at PW.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I guess my ad blocker must be working... I don't notice any ads over at pianoworld! (Or I'm just really good at ignoring what I don't want to see.)

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7598 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

I only learned of PW and WTF when I joined TNCR in 2008 or so, several years after the OCR was shut down. I’m not a member at PW.

How on earth did you find out about TNCR??? Big Grin

Posts: 12755 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, SK, instead of “instructive” in your first sentence, I’m sure you meant “intrusive.”

I did indeed! Big Grin. Autocorrect has gotten increasingly bad these days, esp in terms of correctly something I typed that was spelled correctly, but auto correct changes it it to some other word. -_-

quote:
How on earth did you find out about TNCR???

Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I use Edge or Duck Duck Go with an ad blocker and I don't see any ads over there at all. Easy peasy.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13642 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
But the current problem/reaction isn’t really at the ads anymore, although that’s still a thing that people hate.

It’s the banning of Gombessa that has everyone so up in arms.

I think they’ve finally figured out what it means to have the site run by someone who only cares about money rather than being run by someone who cares about pianos.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

I think they’ve finally figured out what it means to have the site run by someone who only cares about money rather than being run by someone who cares about pianos.

Lot of that going around.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lot of that going around.

Indeed.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension works will for Pianoworld carp.
I turn it off for Youtube and other things.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25842 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post