well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Podcasts - what are you listening to now?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Podcasts - what are you listening to now?
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
I've recently gotten re-hooked on podcasts. Not sure why I stopped listening to them. Lately I've been listening to:

The Argument - one liberal, one conservative, one middle of the road discuss current events and politics, but sanely and respectfully

NYT The Daily - a brief (half hour) recap of today's news

Wrong Skin - just finished this 6 (?) part series where an Australian journalist investigates the murder and disappearance of a couple in remote NW Australia. Really fascinating

Armchair Expert - Dax Shepard hosts a long interview with a single person, sometimes a celebrity, sometimes an expert, etc. It's a bit hit-or-miss, but when it's good I really enjoy it. I recommend the interview with Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and another with a sex therapist (woman) with a very long and very Greek last name. Totally fascinating, goes well beyond sex therapy.

What is everyone else listening to and recommend?

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
My current faves:

99% Invisible: Always my first recommendation. It’s a podcast about design, but not just visual design. One of my favourite episodes, for example, was about a secret hidden space in a mall in New England and how a group of twenty somethings turned it into an apartment. Also, Roman Mars has an amazing voice.

Criminal: each episode Phoebe Judge investigates a story of a criminal act. Sometimes, it’s a major crime (she did an episode about a plane hijacker from the 80s) and sometimes it’s something little (a recent episode looked at a man in an Oakland neighbourhood who put a Buddha statue on a median to discourage people dumping garbage there). Again, her voice is irresistible.

The Anthropocene Reviewed: In this quirky podcast, two seemingly unconnected items are reviewed by John Green on a 5 star scale. My favourite episode was Gray Aliens and Rock Paper Scissors. Other episodes include Lascaux Paintings and the Taco Bell Breakfast Menu, and Hawaiian Pizza and Viral Meningitis.

A more recent favourite is Clear and Vivid with Alan Alda. Alda interviews experts on a variety of topics with the goal of making complex topics easy to understand. Full disclosure: I have had a major crush on Alan Alda since I was a kid, so it’s possible this podcast is horrible and I just enjoy hearing him talk.

The Allusionist by Helen Zaltzman is an interesting look into words, their usage, and their history. Again, lovely voice to listen to (with a great accent so doubly so).

Finally, if you are a fan of The West Wing tv show then The West Wing Weekly is a must listen. Full disclosure: I also have a long standing crush on Josh Malina so hearing his banter with Hrishikesh Hirway is always enjoyable.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I've stopped listening to the political ones. Was listening to a lot of Dan Carlin Hardcore History but he seems to have stopped doing them.

Lately I've been listening to:

Milk Street (food)

Splendid Table (more food)

Freakonomics

Radiolab (not as good as it used to be for some reason)

WSJ The Future of Everything

I've also gotten an Audible subscription and have been listening to more books on tape (or whatever they call it now).

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Classical Guitar Corner

That's about it. WhoMe

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post