well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Current state of COVID

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current state of COVID
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Hospitalizations signal rising COVID-19 risk for US seniors

Coronavirus-related hospital admissions are climbing again in the United States, with older adults a growing share of U.S. deaths and less than half of nursing home residents up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations.

https://news.yahoo.com/hospita...id-19-145840832.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some interesting data (focused on AZ) in this AZ Republic article:

https://news.yahoo.com/covid-1...mbers-192353791.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Hospitalizations signal rising COVID-19 risk for US seniors

Coronavirus-related hospital admissions are climbing again in the United States, with older adults a growing share of U.S. deaths and less than half of nursing home residents up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations.

https://news.yahoo.com/hospita...id-19-145840832.html

The COVID situation with seniors is getting alarming. The reports from different publications vary oddly, but the bottom line seems to be that even with full vaccination, seniors represent a far higher percentage of hospitalizations and deaths than ever before.

True, some are lagging in getting their full roster of vaccinations, but more than ever before it seems seniors are dying (some start the countdown at age 50, most at 65 and up).

Having had COVID in mid October I'm wondering what the best time to get the booster is. Since we now know even resistance from boosters is limited (and there is as yet, no new one), I wonder if I oughtn't wait as long as possible within reason.

Consensus seems to be the more people who get it, the more opportunity/likelihood there is for variants to develop, so the long distant hope of eventually reaching a population endemic level seems to be gone.

What's more the longer it hangs around (and mutating), the more people are going to become "seniors". Put THAT in their pipes and smoke it!

I was only really sick for a day, after which Paxlovid knocked it out but it seems patients aren't allowed to get it more than once. That concerns me too.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I finally got the new covid vaccine. I think I wrote it about in another thread, but the prvious shots I had were all Moderna, and this time I got Pfizer. The reason I had been putting it off was because of concerns about side effects (which were awful, esp. after the last one).

Well, I got the shot on Tuesday and the only side effects I have are a sore arm. Whew. Very relieved about that!

But the sore arm, holy cow! I got the flu shot at the same time, right arm. My right arm was sort of sore the first day but nothing big.

My left arm, where the covid shot was, feels like Muhammad Ali (at his prime) punched me as hard as he could. And it's been two full days but still really sore.

Good grief, I wonder why it was so much worse than the flu shot.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18581 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post