well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Romanov wedding in Russia

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Romanov wedding in Russia
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Russia has held its first royal wedding since the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution toppled the Romanov monarchy, with royals from across Europe attending the lavish ceremony in the city of St. Petersburg.

Grand Duke George Mikhailovich Romanov, 40, tied the knot with his 39-year-old Italian fiancee, Rebecca Virginia Bettarini, at St. Isaac's Cathedral in the presence of dozens of royals.

Looks like a video of the entire ceremony is included. Didn't watch the whole thing but it starts with some great Russian Orthodox church music....groom definitely has the Tsar Nicholas II/King George V look.....

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia...edding/31488187.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Under the watch of a ceremonial honor guard, the bride walked slowly down the aisle as a flock of young attendants held her 23-foot train aloft. The groom, clad in black coattails, stood expectantly under the golden dome of St. Isaac’s Cathedral as his mother watched from a thronelike marble enclosure.

“The Romanovs are Back,” a conservative Russian news outlet announced on Friday, and with wedding rings by Fabergé, a tiara by the French jeweler Chaumet, and an Imperial eagle embroidered onto the veil, it certainly seemed like they had returned in style.

More than a century after the last Czar and Czarina were assassinated in the wake of the Bolshevik revolution, a collection of Europe’s noble families gathered to celebrate Russia’s first royal wedding since the days of the imperial monarchy. The groom was Grand Duke George Mikhailovich Romanov, 40, a descendant of the Russian imperial throne, and his Italian partner was Rebecca Bettarini, 39.

Assembled aristocrats wore fur, feather hats and fascinators as they watched a host of golden-clad priests bless the union.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/1...romanov-wedding.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That was pretty cool. Thanks for posting! Fun fact: the wedding is official following the crowning, not the rings or the kiss.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
How did Romanovs maintain or acquire wealth? Any history buffs?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Russian society operated under a serfdom, with the Emperor/Empress (Romanovs) at the very top of the pyramid. There wasn't really a distinction between state money and personal money as far as the emperor was concerned. It was a "trickle up" economy, where the serfs worked the land and lived in abject poverty, and the profits were given to the landowners and on up. This was one of the key reasons why Tsarist Russia was so receptive to communism. (And, in my opinion, a bit of a cautionary tale for us today.)

Russia was also immense, with a lot of natural resources. Their wealth came from agriculture, land value itself, industry (all of which was taxed at something like 25%, which went directly into the state/emperor treasury), and jewelry.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
My question should have been how did they get themselves and their money past the revolutionaries? Have they been living in Russia since 1917?
Finding more of the story of the imprisonment of the Nicholas and his family and their murder. I suppose a cousin or two got out. Still looking.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Oh, got it. I'm honestly not sure about modern Romanovs, but I assume they stashed some of their money in foreign banks and hid some jewelry?

Certainly the Bolsheviks took most of it in 1917. I remember reading a book about the woman who claimed to be Anastasia (later debunked using DNA), and a portion of that book, if I'm remembering correctly, said that a lot of Romanov money in the form of gold was smuggled out when it became clear that Nicholas and Alexandra were going to abdicate.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"At the time of the executions, about a dozen Romanov relatives were known to have escaped the Bolsheviks, including Maria Feodorovna, the mother of Czar Nicholas II, her daughters Xenia and Olga, and their husbands. Of the 53 Romanovs who were alive in 1917, it’s estimated that only 35 remained alive by 1920." https://www.history.com/news/r...nts-imposters-claims

Was surprised that the wedding was permitted to occur in Russia.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's your expert on the Romanovs:

Robert K Massie

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And The Lost Fortune of the Tsars by William Clarke

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
More than you ever wanted to know. Somebody got some money out. Some of the descendants are not exactly living in obscurity.

"Hugh Grosvenor, 7th Duke of Westminster

A descendant of Czar Michael I, the duke inherited a fortune worth some $12 billion at the age of 25, becoming one of the world’s youngest billionaires when his father died in 2016. The duke is godfather to Prince George, who is currently third in line to the British throne. The duke is also descended from the famous Russian poet Alexander Pushkin, who squared off against Nicholas I during the latter’s reactionary reign." Hugh Grosvenor, 7th Duke of Westminster. https://www.history.com/news/r...nts-imposters-claims

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"BILLIONS, billions, who's got the billions? The gold, jewels, land, cash, art and palaces of the Russian imperial family had an estimated value of over $45 billion when the House of Romanov fell in 1917. A great deal of that wealth can be easily accounted for -- the Bolsheviks grabbed it. But enough to make dozens of people gloriously rich eluded their grasp and has been sought and claimed ever since."

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/0...ke-it-with-them.html

"The family still had a fortune in diamonds sewn into the underclothes of the Grand Duchesses, but that only added irony to horror: during their executions, bullets ricocheted off the diamonds and the poor girls had to be finished off with rifle butts and bayonets."

"But as Mr. Clarke recounts in "Fortune," the third and most fascinating section of his book, the real missing wealth was not in art, jewels or cash in foreign banks but in a billion dollars' worth of gold, some of which was en route to the Remington Arms Company to buy weapons for the White Army battling the Reds during the civil war that began in 1918. Bullion and billions have a way of disappearing in Russia. In 1914 Russia held the world's largest gold stock, but it had essentially run out of gold by late 1921. Something similar occurred at the end of the Soviet era "when the total gold and currency reserves dropped from $11 billion to zero in less than 18 months," Mr. Clarke writes. "Only $7 billion of this recent drain could be accounted for by normal trade transactions. The whereabouts of the remaining $4 billion remains a mystery."

Reminded me of the $$$$ that seems to have vanished during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Robert Ludlum or the like should write a thriller about the
fleeing Romanovs and a fictional British agent that gets a cut of the gold
for helping them.