well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Now it's "LGBTQ+"
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now it's "LGBTQ+"
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
LGBTQ+

Plus what? I'm at the a loss. I have no idea.

"Queer" started to be used by academics around the time I graduated from college. I don't know what it means.

In my day it was, "GLBT."

*shrug*

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
...and there's more!

https://gaycenter.org/about/lgbtq/

"The ‘plus’ is used to signify all of the gender identities and sexual orientations that letters and words cannot yet fully describe."

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Semiotics?

Lol!

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I heard there was some internal squabbling in the community over whether bisexuals really exist.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
My favorite is “non-binary”. I still haven’t figured out just what the difference is between saying “I’m non-binary” and saying “LOOK AT ME”.

I mean, does anyone actually identify as “binary”, after all?

Also, if you concede the point, that some people are “binary” and some are “non-binary”, isn’t that just another binary?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand pronouns.

If I identify as female, my prounoun is she. Why do I need more than one? Saying she/her/hers is redundant. Is anyone really going with the cafeteria plan, like she/him/theirs?

Cindy — who doesn’t declare her pronouns at the office and has noticed fewer people are doing so

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
My pet peeve is when people don't know, or bigots pretend not to know, that gay male relationships involve TWO MEN.

My other pet peeve is when men who identify as straight want to crucify gay men for engaging in the same acts (I'll let you use your imagination) they often openly admit to engaging in.

Even worse, some of these men are more than happy to sleep with women and/or men and/or transexuals.

Human sexuality is complicated. I don't think it always fits into these named categories.

Having said this, I've never met anyone who identifies as, "+." That's just stupid.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Also, if you concede the point, that some people are “binary” and some are “non-binary”, isn’t that just another binary?
That’s like arguing that acknowledging the difference between “discrimination” and “non-discrimination” is itself a form of “discrimination”.

In every day language, I take “non-binary” to mean “neither traditional male nor tradition female.”

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

Having said this, I've never met anyone who identifies as, "+." That's just stupid.
I look at the “+” as a catch-all, like “etc.” at the end of a list. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Get off my lawn, Ax. VeryAngry

Big Grin

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Glad I am simply G. That is enough to deal with. Life for the + crowd and others must be more difficult. I have contempt for those making their lives hell.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have contempt for those making their lives hell.

This.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s like arguing that acknowledging the difference between “discrimination” and “non-discrimination” is itself a form of “discrimination”.

In every day language, I take “non-binary” to mean “neither traditional male nor tradition female.”

+1.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know. But it’s just so retrograde. I wonder if they realize they are affirming those traditional roles when they take on the label.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
I have contempt for those making their lives hell.

This.

+2