well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this old house

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this old house
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
This one is in the historic district of my town. Built in 1896. I think they've done a nice job of balancing vintage charm and modern style.

As an added bonus (for me, at least), it's not all gray.... Big Grin

https://www.realtor.com/reales...-13414?ex=2943622707

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I like it a lot! And I agree, all the not-gray is very nice!

Actually, the very first photo of the living room (where the upright is pretty much in the middle of the photo) -- that wall color is a lot like the color of the living room where we lived in Japan. The walls there were a traditional Japanese style of plaster, so there's a texture to it. But it's that very warm, earthy tone that's in between tan and green.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I like it a lot, too!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Grey
I like an occasional rainy day, but not grey on my walls.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with the typical floor plans for homes of this era.

There are two front doors right next to each other. One goes into the living room and one goes into the dining room. The homeowners are clearly not using the dining room door because it's blocked with furniture both from the outside and inside.

Any idea why there are two doors? Think they are original, or was one added later?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I was poking around to see if I can find any historical info about this house. We have a Historical Society, and their links took me to some state archives.

So far I've determined (from the Arlington Heights Municipal Directory) that in 1935, one John Cuthbertson (retired) lived at 1004 N Mitchell Ave.

Cracks me up....people's professions are often mentioned in the listing. Including "unemployed". Blink

I know, I know....too exciting for words...just try to contain yourselves....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From the 1943 directory. Check out the USPS entry:

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Are those three- and four-digit phone numbers? Cool!

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Nice house.

Big garage!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Big garage!

Priorities! Ole

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

I know, I know....too exciting for words...just try to contain yourselves....

On the contrary, I LOVE this stuff..I have done full geneolgical research on my own house, the original owners, why the lot was vacant for so long, the original layout...

So it was no surprise to find my garage was constructed of old shipping crates from clothing manufactures as they original owner worked in menswear. (His name was Fred Piper. Big Grin)

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post