well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Horror of a true monster's mind-bending predation (student's father), who lived in her dorm. This was at my first college, Sarah Lawrence

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horror of a true monster's mind-bending predation (student's father), who lived in her dorm. This was at my first college, Sarah Lawrence
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
I've been following this story with agony as I learn increasing details. Apparently, he exerted studied mind control over at least a decade, leading to their breakdowns, suicide attempts (and at least one completed suicide) through his "therapy".

One victim who had graduated from Harvard and Columbia medical schools before meeting him, was coerced into four years work as a prostitute (to his multi-milllion dollar profit) by convincing her of imaginary crimes - including attempting to poison him. He "broke" their minds by mental and physical torture, including one whole family of siblings.

I try to imagine being a student in the dorm he inhabited, how in the world he got away with it -- and why? (Note Sarah Lawrence dorms consisted of numerous large renovated houses.)

Pure evil, he studied how to twist and manipulate minds - incredibly insinuating himself into their lives beginning by living in his daughter's dorm at will (she defends him! Who knows what he had done to her growing up?)

Sentenced to life, declared perpetual risk

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
I try to imagine being a student in the dorm he inhabited, how in the world he got away with it -- and why?

HairRaising
That's the question I was left with after reading the article. How does one man spin such a web of mind control as to ensnare so many victims?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
Wow. facebook shows me a lot of upsetting articles but not that one!

I was almost triggered! How sad for the victims!

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm still thinking about this story. It seemed almost incomprehensible to me, but then I thought about other instances of mind control like Charles Manson and the Manson Family or Jim Jones at Jonestown in Guyana to imagine that such things are possible. I wonder if the rise of Adolph Hitler was an example of such tactics on a national scale.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post