well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Egads! Tariffs on Single Malt Scotch!!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Egads! Tariffs on Single Malt Scotch!!!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45769 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
It’s a good thing I mostly drink double malt Scotch.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That will turn more people against Trump than any soybean tariff.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Cheeses? Wine? Olives?

VeryAngry

The whole list:

https://ustr.gov/sites/default...nal_Product_List.pdf

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
You've gotta be kidding. Buy now!

And...you'd think Trump would get big-time blowback on this from his Big Business buddies. He might reconsider. Then again, those buddies could well afford the extra 25%.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Nah. Real murkins drink Jack.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Well, I am happy that I do not drink as much as I did in years past. I might buy 3 bottles of single malt over a 12 month period.

I really hate it when our government pulls bullsh!t like this.

Posts: 13637 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:

Big Grin
Remember the day my father and his buddy went to the distillery. Was stopped as Lyndon Johnson's motorcade went by. Dad, his buddy, Mom and the buddies spouse drove by close behind LBJ's caddy.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Received an email this morning from a local liquor store:

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nah, most of those people were already agin him.

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I remember the "tasting" at the end of the Jameson tour in Dublin. It wasn't blind, so it was part of their shtick. They poured four little tastes to show the differences. I believe two of them were Jameson brands, one was a basic Johnny Walker blend, and one was ... well, after we sipped the last one, the guide said something like "...and what did that one taste like? ---- after an appropriate pause, and with a twinkle in his eye, he smiles and said ... "COLLEGE." Yeah, that was Jack Daniels.

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
quote:

I remember the "tasting" at the end of the Jameson tour in Dublin. It wasn't blind, so it was part of their shtick. They poured four little tastes to show the differences. I believe two of them were Jameson brands, one was a basic Johnny Walker blend, and one was ... well, after we sipped the last one, the guide said something like "...and what did that one taste like? ---- after an appropriate pause, and with a twinkle in his eye, he smiles and said ... "COLLEGE." Yeah, that was Jack Daniels.

ROTFLMAO

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I want to point out an important difference between these tariffs and most of the others we have seen recently that would more legitimately go under the heading of "trade wars."

This set of tariffs did not emerge from the fevered tweets of the stable genius in the White House. These tariffs emerged at the end of a legal process that is part of established international law. The WTO ruled that certain EU subsidies to Airbus were contrary to agreed trade rules, and that ruling has triggered the US response. These tariffs are remedies to EU "misbehavior," and they are sanctioned by international law. They, and the ruling, are designed to get the EU to come into compliance, and they will go away as soon as that happens.

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I'm going to stock up with a year's worth of single malt this weekend...

6 Bottles should be about right.

Posts: 13637 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I want to point out an important difference between these tariffs and most of the others we have seen recently that would more legitimately go under the heading of "trade wars."

This set of tariffs did not emerge from the fevered tweets of the stable genius in the White House. These tariffs emerged at the end of a legal process that is part of established international law. The WTO ruled that certain EU subsidies to Airbus were contrary to agreed trade rules, and that ruling has triggered the US response. These tariffs are remedies to EU "misbehavior," and they are sanctioned by international law. They, and the ruling, are designed to get the EU to come into compliance, and they will go away as soon as that happens.

Fair nuff.

Bazootiehead-in-training