well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    “Rage rooms” — American aggression?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Rage rooms” — American aggression?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
This is the first I’ve heard of a “rage room,” where people pay money to smash things up with a sledgehammer, particularly office printers.

On the one hand it’s kind of funny, but on the other, it makes me wonder about American aggression. Why do people have so much pent up anger, and does taking it out physically help or make it worse?

Anyway, that’s not the point of the article suave

https://www.washingtonpost.com...-environment-health/

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18613 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Swinging a sledgehammer is satisfying. It’s an element of the demolition process on all the remodeling shows.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Swinging a sledgehammer is satisfying.

I have never swung a sledgehammer. Ok wait.. so it depends on how we define sledgehammer.. well, most accurate is to say I’ve never swung a sledgehammer, but I have swung a very large wooden mallet, when making Japanese mochi the traditional way. But this was in the service of creation, not destruction.

I guess I’m wondering why destruction is satisfying.

Maybe I should revisit this question some time when I’m super angry or frustrated. Big Grin

Posts: 18613 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, you do eat the mochi, right? There's the destruction! You're just preparing the material to be destroyed ... Big Grin

Posts: 12574 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"Acting out feelings of anger reinforces those neural pathways that are primed for anger. By strengthening these pathways, people are more likely to respond and act out with anger in the future."

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25736 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Another form of rage room?

The Axe Hole House

I wonder how many people who do that imagine the boss's face, or perhaps an ex for the axe.

Posts: 12574 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
"Acting out feelings of anger reinforces those neural pathways that are primed for anger. By strengthening these pathways, people are more likely to respond and act out with anger in the future."

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what my thought/concern was.

I also think this is very embedded in American culture.

Also, yuck.