well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Feeding the wild critters

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding the wild critters
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted
Our kitchen table where we eat most meals is next to two large windows that look out on a porch and small side yard where we have half a dozen bird feeders as well as a one foot square hanging peanut holder. We feed birds, squirrels, chipmunks, a woodchuck, lots of crows. We love watching them come to eat

Do you feed any animals in your yard?

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17715 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Our last house was close to the forest, so yes... A wide range of critters. The deer seemed to really appreciate the salad bar whenever we tried to plant anything!

Now we are on the 8th (top) floor of an old office building in downtown Chicago. We have finches that visit - both the red and yellow versions, along with lots of sparrows. We just use Nyger(thistle) seed to avoid attracting pidgeons and having a mess of hulls dropping down below.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7600 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yep. Five different bird feeders and three hummingbird ones. Love it. We have chipmunks? Squirrels bunnies, deer and those $&#% moles. Every type of woodpecker, six pairs of cardinals, owls, doves, robins, wrens, chickadees, jays, titmice, every kind of finch, sparrows, grackles, more that I can’t remember.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13643 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We have lots of wild turkeys here. They have become something of a nuisance. No natural predators, unless you count the cats, who dispatch some number of the babies. No need to feed them. They hunt bugs and grubs in the ground.

There are squirrels in abundance. Lots of different birds pecking around. There are mice around. Unfortunately, they get into the house.

Deer sometimes seen, though in lesser numbers as there’s a vasectomy program in place.

Raccoons and possums are about, but we don’t see them often.

Staten Island has more wooded and “natural” areas than elsewhere in NYC.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes, there's a cat who comes to my porch screen door looking for food at night. I feed him when I see him and sometimes give him water.

He's an outdoor cat who is taken care of by the two older ladies who live next door on the lot next to my porch. He's friendly with them but he won't let me let him. He's a male cat, fwiw. I'm not a cat whisperer but I can tell this cat is stupid. It is what it is. I have enough experience with cats to be sure of it. He was born to be an outside cat. He couldn't care less about sleeping in one of my planters filled with dirt which contained lettuce at one time. He's not skittish with the neighbors. He's skittish with me. Either way he's not a lap cat. It's against the rules to feed cats. This is probably the only HOA rule I violate. I use my discretion. I'm not contributing to bringing any new cats here. One day I hope to find an intelligent unreservedly affectionate orange male cat and if I do there's a good chance I will bring him inside, take him to the vet, and let him live with me.

Posts: 25195 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
We have possums, rabbits, armadillos iirc, snakes, herons, many other types of birds, dragonflies, and many kinds of butterflies of various sizes, and of course alligators although I haven't seen one yet.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Squirrels. How could I forget squirrels. And mongoose pl, iirc. And ants. And too many flying bugs to count. I have an apple tree outside my bedroom so lots of birdsong. Those birds serve an environment function. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to feed them.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Garden lizards. How could I get forget garden lizard?! I like them better than cats. There are different types but they are all very small. They are such intelligent, curious, friendly creatures. They have no need of being fed by humans.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
There's a huge, old holly tree outside the window of my office in the new house.

In my current office, we planted a large holly bush outside the window, and I see birds there all year, so I have hopes that I'll have the same situation after we move.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15554 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
We have lots of wild turkeys here.

Ever see a big flock of them running? Right out of Jurassic Park.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Garden lizards. How could I get forget garden lizard?! I like them better than cats. There are different types but they are all very small. They are such intelligent, curious, friendly creatures. They have no need of being fed by humans.

We have those in the part of Cincinnati I used to live in, and nowhere else around this part of the country. No one seems to know why. I love them. They were always around the pool when I hung out there, which was pretty much always if it was sunny.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
quote:

No, but they do travel in bunches (“rafters”). You’ll see them here crossing busy 4-lane roads and drivers just stop and wait for them.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

Had them everywhere in CA, have never seen one in OH. My favorites were the shiny black ones.

I do have a couple of toads living in the rocks around my little fountain. They make lovely music at night.

And drive the dog crazy.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Frogs. Not too many. I like them.
Racoons.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
quote:

Especially bad if they're running AT you! Big Grin

Posts: 12757 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post