well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    In the interest of science - antibody test

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the interest of science - antibody test
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Labcorp does tests for the IgG COVID-19 antibody. If you have a doctor's order, there is no charge. You can also do it without an order and they charge you $10. Set up an account, schedule your appointment, pay your $10 and you are good to go.

I decided to get the test to see if there was any chance that I could be one of the asymptomatic cases who had the virus and never knew. I figured if I had antibodies, I could donate plasma for someone who needs it.

I went on Saturday and got my blood drawn, and the results came back last night. I'm negative for the antibody. Not surprising, as I haven't been out of the house much and am exceedingly careful when I am out. I also haven't felt sick, so I didn't think it was likely I'd test positive. But you never know.

More info on the Labcorp test if you're interested:

https://www.labcorp.com/antibody-testing

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
good to know!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this. I have a couple friends who were terribly sick with pneumonia back in late February/early March and since all this broke, they've been wondering if it could have been covid -- no one was checking for it back then. I will see if any of them are interested in the antibody test!

Posts: 4403 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of friends that were thinking the same thing - they were going to donate blood, just so they could get tested...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Quest Diagnostic is doing it here, but cost much more. With a dr order, it can be covered by insurance.

I opted for out of pocket. I went to a local urgent care center, paid them $50 for the blood draw and then the lab charges $119.

This question has been bothering me so much since Feb when most of us in the office were terribly sick over 2 weeks. Most of us had coughing, breathing issues and then each had odd other symptoms..My coworker had REALLY red eyes, though he was only sick for about 4 days, I had a bloody nose every morning for a month and then two bouts of conjunctivitis in the weeks following...

WTG, when do you get your results? They tell me I will get a call in two days.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I got mine within 48 hours they email you that the results are ready and you check your online account.

I was negative, which I expected because I hadn't felt sick. I think I mentioned it in some other thread and didn't think to come back her to post the results. duh!

My neighbor and her entire family were horribly sick in late February, just a few days before the first case was announced in my town.

She went for the test a few days after I did. She was convinced she would test positive, but her test came up negative.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I did mine two weeks ago. Also got results in 2 days, also negative.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
There is no patient center within 100 miles of me...

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Got my results today, a day early...negative.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmm, what are the chances of false negative?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18471 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I wonder if we're all speaking of the same antibody test. I had the impression there were more than one (even quite a few?).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Hmm, what are the chances of false negative?

Tiny. The predictive value of a negative score is very high.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
There are at least a dozen common in the US Amanda.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
There are at least a dozen common in the US Amanda.

I thought so. Which makes stats about probability of false negatives or positives kind of moot stated as generalities.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post