well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A WH Insider Dumps on Trump
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A WH Insider Dumps on Trump
 Login/Join

Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Horace, every time I've gotten into a discussion with you, either here or next door, it seems we ultimately end up in the same place, with you stating that I hate/dislike our current president and seemingly dismissing everything else I have to say.

You said "dislike" and I used "hate" instead. I have no trouble acknowledging that I used the wrong word in this thread; it was sloppy of me. My error.

On the other hand, I don't see how it changes the substance of what I said. We're talking about the intensity of the emotion. I'm making the point that it's not emotional for me, and I keep getting told that I feel "X".

As for the op-ed, I don't think we should be looking at the politics of who it is good/bad for. There are much more important things to be concerned about.

Despite how strongly I feel that Trump is completely unqualified to execute the duties of his office and can understand that members of his administration agree with that notion and are trying to protect the country from his worst impulses, the thing that bothers me the most is the notion of the palace coup that is apparently underway. This isn't how it's supposed to work.

It's unequivocal that it's not how it's supposed to work. And it's unequivocal that the op ed spoke to the feelings of millions of never-Trumpers.

The precedent is interesting, is all I'm saying. I believe, and this is my personal opinion, that the stronger, better, more pro-human perspective on that letter is that the author and his alleged cabal should respect the system more, even in the face of how much they disrespect the person who was elected into it.

That opinion of mine could be changed, if I was given to understand things the president has tried to do, which this resistance kept him from doing. I feel confident that I will never be given any compelling specifics about that.

quote:
But that brings us back around to who is in the Oval Office. His actions have dragged us (and based on the op-ed, "us" includes the people he himself selected to work with him and to be in his administration) into dangerous and uncharted waters. I'm not sure what the way out is.

The NYT op-ed is uncharted waters, I agree. To me, what is most interesting is how far afoul of people's stated principles they will go when the righteousness of groups takes over.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yes, the NYT editorial staff found itself in the same choppy waters as the writer of the op-ed. Kobayashi Maru for everyone.

FWIW, if I had to make the decision, I would not have published it. Partly on principle, partly for practical reasons.

quote:
That opinion of mine could be changed, if I was given to understand things the president has tried to do, which this resistance kept him from doing. I feel confident that I will never be given any compelling specifics about that.

Michael Smerconish addressed something along these lines this morning on his show. I tried to find the transcript or a clip but no luck. Wish I could remember his exact wording, but the gist of it was he was totally unconvinced that there was much to worry about until he read the op-ed. Apparently his mind has been changed.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38016 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Or maybe you're just reaching for inappropriate hyperbolic language for some other purpose.

yes please do try to disentangle my ulterior motives, it would be fascinating and I promise not to take offense, honestly.

No need. It has been said, never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Woodward stands by his book, and explains why.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/10...y-politics-not-truth

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38016 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Dan Drezner having a bit of fun with the NY Times:

I Too am Part of the Resistance...

Posts: 12575 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Have we figured out who wrote the "anonymous" op-ed referenced in the opening post?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12704 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com...a56d5b7ce_story.html

After a year, Anonymous remains anonymous.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12704 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then-White House press secretary Sarah Sanders tried a novel approach: She posted the Times’s main phone number on Twitter, and she urged people who “want to know” the identity of “this gutless loser” to call and ask the paper’s editors for his or her name. The phone campaign did not work, either; some people called the Times to praise it for running the column.

ROTFLMAO

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
"The author of the Times op-ed could not be reached for comment."

Big Grin

Posts: 12575 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post