well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Opportunities for Texas to get bluer

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opportunities for Texas to get bluer
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Rep. Kenny Marchant announced Monday that he would not seek reelection in 2020. Marchant is now the fourth lawmaker from Texas to announce his retirement, following Reps. Pete Olson, Mike Conaway and most recently, Will Hurd.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/r...announce-retirement/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We can only hope, as long as voter suppression doesn’t dampen the effect.

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If and when Texas flips by a millimeter at the presidential level, we'll hear the other side complaining about the "antiquated" electoral college system.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Would be loverly.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25720 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rep. Bill Flores (R-Texas) on Wednesday announced he will not seek reelection to a sixth term in Congress, adding to the rush of Texas Republican lawmakers heading for the exit.

Flores, the first Republican to represent the Waco area since Reconstruction, won his seat in the Tea Party wave of 2010. He beat then-Rep. Chet Edwards (D) by a wider margin than any other challenger who ousted a sitting Democrat that year.

He said in a statement he intended to honor a term-limit pledge he made when he first ran for office.

“After much prayer over the past few days and following conversations with my wife, Gina, during that time, I have decided that my current term will be my last,” Flores said.

In Congress, Flores aligned himself with party leadership. He chaired the conservative Republican Study Committee, beating then-Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.) on a second ballot. Mulvaney then helped found the House Freedom Caucus, an even farther-right group of lawmakers who made life difficult for Republican leaders.

Flores, who turned 65 in February, is the fifth Texas Republican to say he will not seek reelection next year, an unusual flood of exits that reflect the unpleasant realities of life in the minority in the House.

https://thehill.com/homenews/h...republican-to-retire

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post