well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Why reclining seats are vanishing from airplanes

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why reclining seats are vanishing from airplanes
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The airplane seat recline button -- so controversial that it inspired an entire micro-industry of devices to stop the passenger in front leaning into your space.

At one point in time all economy class airline seats had built-in recline. Today, there are entire seat models that simply don't have the option.

So what happened to make reclining seats disappear in some places? And is that a good thing, or a bad thing? Just because a passenger can recline their seat, should they?

As with so much in the airline business, it depends on who you ask

https://www.cnn.com/travel/art...airplanes/index.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the pre-reclined seats feel like... I don't know that I'd want to be half-reclined all the time...

I have only flown economy plus, or premium depending on the carrier, a few times and it was definitely more comfortable. On the international flight, the premium seats had a reclining mechanism where you recline within the seat casing (don't know how to describe it otherwise) but the actual seat does not move, so whether you're reclined or not makes no difference for the person behind you.

But yeah, in the rest of the cattle car, the situation is not so kind. Roll Eyes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18542 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the fuss about people "reclining into your space". It isn't your space, it is their space. Just like the space behind you is yours if you recline your seat. It has never bothered me when the person in front of me reclines their seat. Of course, I am not 6'8". Such people need to buy roomier seats or sit in the bulkhead.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I don’t like it when the seat in front of me reclines. It can threaten to spill my drink and makes it very hard to get out. I normally can get up from my seat without touching the seat in front of me, but if it is reclined, I will grab on and it will become a catapult.

Reclining is fine on long haul and red eye.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Reclining or not, air travel is just misery. Frowner

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't usually watch a lot of videos online, but this one came up today and caught my attention. Kind of interesting and seems like a natural follow-on to the original topic.

I never traveled on planes during the golden age of air travel. I had no idea there were ever these kinds of lounges available on airplanes. Piano bar in coach, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWG08YvroaE

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Really good comfortable airline seats are still available, you just have to be on a big plane (like a 737 or bigger) on a long route (like trans-continental or inter-continental) in first or business class. It will cost a lot more than coach/economy, but you will get a larger, more comfortable seat.

My experience has been that short regional routes are usually flown with smaller aircrafts, and the "first class" seats for such routes, while maybe slightly bigger and recline just a tiny bit more, are not significantly bigger than couch/economy seats and they won't cost all that much more.

Side-to-side, it's obvious that airline seat widths are not keeping up with Americans' girths. Heck, they are going in opposite directions. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post