well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    30 brilliant condiments
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 brilliant condiments
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
This sauce will change your life!

https://www.theguardian.com/fo...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37946 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I only know a couple of these. I’m fascinated.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking a lot of them may be more mainstays in the UK, but it may be possible to get them in the US. I was fascinated with the truffle product that's available at Selfridge's.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37946 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Ponzu is a favorite. Like soy sauce with an added citrus element.

But the thing about these condiments is, they’re the same every time, so the flavor might fatigue you. I have a Jamaican sauce like that. It’s good but I don’t use it that often.

I can see how some chili-based sauces could be addictive.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
inspired me to search “sauce” on Amazon....

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Mae Ploy nam prik pao - yes! I really like the Mae Ploy brand overall.

Maggi liquid seasoning - another staple at Chez Nina.

The others I've never heard of, and wonder how available they are aside from specialty shops.

And I'll admit, I've never understood the appeal of truffles or truffle flavored anything. To me, it is like eating dirt, something I haven't done in decades. LOL.

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Our local pizza place does a mushroom specialty pie with truffle oil. It’s awesome!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two of them - Kewpie and crystal. They’re both very good. I’ll have to find some of the others.

Also good is Jamaican “Pickapeppa” hot sauce. It has a lot of tamarind in it. Yummy

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Like RP, I really like ponzu. It's a lighter, fresher version of soy sauce, not as salty and with a dash of citrus. I've tried the Kikkoman brand in the lime and citrus versions, with a slight preference for the citrus.

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I only know the Japanese ones (duh) but the other ones all look really interesting!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18534 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the thing about these condiments is, they’re the same every time, so the flavor might fatigue you.

They should sell these in a sampler style set.

With the exception of Kewpie because you can never get enough Kewpie mayo!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18534 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I keep coming across recipes that call for “chili crisp.” I would like to find that and try it.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
My kitchen is already the Isle of Lost Condiments. I need no more.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The one star reviews on Amazon for Truff have made me decide not to try it. People who love truffles said it was awful. And sweet.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I just don't see the purpose behind truffle hot sauce. It's not a natural affinity.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post