Tools

Oscars
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
I'm not watching this year, but I did see this red carpet picture. I love it!

That is an amazing look. I love it!

That photo is circulating on Facebook with a caption that is very funny to this crime fiction writer:

"Billy Porter showed up as the glamorous dowager with a dangerous secret AND her suave butler with mysterious designs of his own."

ROTFLMAO

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The woman he was with showed up in a dress with a huge train populated with stuffed animals and a bunny hand puppet.

If the idea was to entertain, it succeeded.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34941 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Bravo for including the awards for the tradies -
costume, makeup, production.

They can make or break a picture and some of them are my friends.

ThumbsUp

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I didn't watch, I didn't realize it was yesterday. I've caught a few news stories this morning though.

Add me to the list, I love that tuxedo dress! It's a great look on him. And, I mean, you pretty much can't go wrong with that much velvet!

Also, I have yet to see the Queen movie, but really want to. I also want to see Green Book, although I'm curious about the criticisms of it.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18457 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
J Hud really struggled. Sad, because I think she's amazing.

I was about 50-50 with the fashionistas on what worked and what didn't. Some of the things they were gushing over were ridiculous. But I loved loved loved Emma Stone's dress, along with them (and apparently the rest of the world).

I didn't miss a host at all.

I still think Adam Lambert is one of the best things to ever come out of American Idol.

I thought that the awards came off as a bit of "you get an Oscar!" "You get an Oscar!" No big sweeps for any single movie.

I liked Green Book, but no way was it best picture.

The chemistry between Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper just shoots off the screen. Either they're incredible actors, or there's something really there.

Speaking of Lady Gaga, she is freakishly talented. I remain a huge fan.

Some of the best movie $$'s I've spent have been to see the nominated shorts in the theater. Around here, they're still playing. I highly recommend going before they leave the theaters (it may be too late).

I'd give it a solid B.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
The whole thing was a preview for me. I don't go to the movies...just wait for them to come to Amazon prime etc.

I watched Who's got talent or Americas got talent or whatever the name. I never watch one thing at a time. And switch during ads!

The set is still what sticks in my mind as memorable.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I didn't watch.

I was in a Superbowl + Oscars prediction group. After the Superbowl round, I was in second place, one point behind the leader.

The pressure for the Oscar round was palpable -- especially since I rarely go to a movie nowadays. Of all of the contenders, I had seen Free Solo, RBG, Spiderman, Black Panther, Isle of Dogs, and Roma. I began watching BlacKkKlansman on a five-hour flight and stopped about 30 minutes in -- I preferred staring out the window to watching that movie.

Anyway, my theory for the Oscar round was that there would be a backlash against Netflix, and they wouldn't give it Best Picture. I was right and was one of the few in the pool who didn't pick Roma. I also picked against the short movie film Period because of the Netflix connection (wrong!).

I made some awesome picks down the line for things like sound editing, make-up, screenplay, etc. I coughed up the win, however, by assuming the Academy would reward people based on the strength of their careers (Spike Lee, Glenn Close, some other guy for Supporting Actor). And I had an Attack of Stupid and picked Bradley Cooper for Best Actor on account of how he's so cute.

So I fell to the middle of the pack. Better luck next year -- and next time I'll be prepared.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I loved Isle of Dogs. That movie is very underrated.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and I loved Isle of Dogs. That movie is very underrated.

Hey, that's one film from 2018 that I actually saw! Did it win something?

Posts: 18457 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
It was nominated for Animated Feature Film, but it lost to Spiderman. Which was also very good and very funny.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I need to see Bao. Stat. I chose it in the pool because I liked the name, not knowing it really was about a dumpling!

I went to a party last night. We cast our ballots. I picked 12/24 winners, which was pretty good since I’d only seen RBG and If Beale Street Could Talk. I tied for third; first place winner had 14, second place 13.

Loved the gowns! And the black velvet tux/gown. He actually had black velvet palazzo pants for the pre-show, while he was conducting interviews.

The Lady Gaga/B. Cooper duet was smokin’ hot.

And Melissa McCarthy’s gown with the train covered with bunnies was stellar.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Mary Anna and I both saw Bao, and both loved it.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
When I saw the costume segment I thought the tradies had banded together to make sure their awards were the most entertaining part of the evening. Recall that tradie awards were originally scheduled to happen during commercials.

Later segments screwed that up but I still think the bunny train stole the show. Bunny handpuppet FTW!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34941 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
When I saw the costume segment I thought the tradies had banded together to make sure their awards were the most entertaining part of the evening. Recall that tradie awards were originally scheduled to happen during commercials.

Later segments screwed that up but I still think the bunny train stole the show. Bunny handpuppet FTW!

I think Melissa McCarthy stole the show with that. I am not the best judge however. Watched it Monday night with a lot of fast forwarding. Such a Grinch I am.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25703 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I still haven't seen a photo of the bunny train yet...

I did just go and watch Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper's performance.... meh. I love Lady Gaga, but I don't like Bradley Cooper and I don't like his singing voice. She sounded great though.

I wanted to be able to hear more of that piano she was playing too.