well-temperedforum.groupee.net
The bridges of New York

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/5173905897

18 August 2023, 02:03 PM
wtg
The bridges of New York

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfsP_W1y82Q

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

18 August 2023, 02:18 PM
RealPlayer
As the video mentions at the start, before the bridges, ferries plied the waterways around New York.

BUT…

Now the ferries have returned! And they are popular!

Here is a map of the routes run by NY Waterway.

Ferry route map

Here is a photo I took from inside the East River ferry the other night. The views are spectacular!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

19 August 2023, 02:35 PM
big al
I had no idea there were that many ferry routes serving the NY harbor area. I thought only service between Manhattan and Staten Island presently existed.

Is there any ferry service to NJ?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

19 August 2023, 03:57 PM
Nina
I wish there were more ferry options (actually any options) in Portland. The bridge traffic during rush hour is awful.
19 August 2023, 06:30 PM
RealPlayer
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I had no idea there were that many ferry routes serving the NY harbor area.

Is there any ferry service to NJ?

Big Al

Yes. There are several ferries to New Jersey departing from the W. 39th St. terminal, run by the same company. Also free bus shuttles to the terminal that traverse some of the main crosstown streets.

The city-run ferry to Staten Island is free, but these “fast ferries” cost $4 per trip. With discounted fares for seniors and some others.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray