well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Another piano shopping update — AKA piqué may never speak to me again
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another piano shopping update — AKA piqué may never speak to me again
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
In a compete 180, today I fell in love with a 20 y/o 5’3” Yamaha GH1.

I am actually seriously considering this piano (it helps that it’s actually within our budget).

Tomorrow we’re going back to one of the other dealers we’ve visited before so I can play a few other grands (all instruments I’ve played before) just to see how I feel after another round of comparison playing.

piqué don’t hate me! suave

Also, Bernard for the gazilliojnth time, I’m sorry I can’t remember but what model of G is your Yamaha?
ETA Bernard, you have a G1R right? Ok that’s not what this is.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18569 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Well, you know I love my Yamaha. Smiler

If you love a piano, it's the right piano.

Group Hug

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Fun!

Before you buy, go back and play octaves starting in the middle (above the break, around bass clef F-treble clef F) and play firmly going down - listening as you hit the transition around C/B and lower. Repeat, breaking the octaves this time to play one note at a time an octave apart. If it sounds good to you, bingo!!

The tuning of these tends to be a little crazy if your house goes through significant humidity shifts over the course of months - there are solutions available for that.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those tips Ron! I’ll report back!

Re humidity, I have finally got my humidity under control!! Yay!!!
(Wait till winter when I have to worry about driness!!!

Posts: 18569 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
In a compete 180, today I fell in love with a 20 y/o 5’3” Yamaha GH1.

Does Pique hate Yamaha?

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
No, it’s the length. Too short.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, yeah, of course ... Big Grin

You were looking at an M, right? That's what, 5'7"?

I find even that length a bit of an issue. Really sweet midrange, but thuddy-sounding bass.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yes the M is 5'7". I must not care about the length. When I do my test-playing, I have several pieces in my repertoire that I play, and for the small pianos that I have liked, I don't find the length or bass to be a negative factor

I did like the Yamaha C3 I played, but it's a bit of tight fit for our living room.

Another piano I played and liked was a Yamaha C2 which is 5'8". I played a Petrof IV (5'8") which was underwhelming.

And then I've played 4 different Boston grands (two 5'4" one 5'1'" and one that was 5'10"). I absolutely loved every Boston I've played! Even the 5'1" one. The catch, those were all new instruments. And I have yet to come across a used Boston. I wish I knew why I like these Bostons so much... I think it's a combination of the action and the fat tail.

Today we went to a different dealer (that we have visited before) and I played two GH1s of similar age, neither were as appealing as the one yesterday. I also played a brand new GC1 (I think that's the right number, it's a 5'3" but brand new, and the letters are definitely GC), that was also very nice, but again, too expensive.

Anyway, today's visit convinced me that the GH1 I played yesterday is a definite contender (and none of today's GH1s are contenders). I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger though. I probably need to make another trip to that dealer.

I love playing and comparing all these pianos. But boy oh boy do I hate all the driving!

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Speaking of driving, have you been up to Ruggero Piano in Raleigh?

Good folks.

Ruggero Piano

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don't remember liking any Bostons, but that was years ago. Maybe the new ones are better.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D, I've looked at Ruggero's website, they don't really have anything that jumps out at me right now, used inventory is complicated, so I do check periodically. But it's also a lot farther than I want to drive.

RP, again, I'm not much of a pianist, nor am I a tech, so my opinion (as they say) is worth what you pay for it! suave But the Bostons I've played, I really like. But I really don't see them on the used market around here, and I've heard from someone at PW that the Bostons tend not to be very stable. These are older Bostons, so it's hard to say what's different with the newer ones.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’m in the 5’3” is too short camp.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
No, it’s the length. Too short.

I think you misunderstood.

Damn autocorrect.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
May I ask why a little grand rather than a high quality console?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Your ear is different than mine. I don't have a problem with that. Hat

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post