well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We have never been here before

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We have never been here before
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Tom Friedman on Putin and Ukraine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/0...-russia-ukraine.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Zelenskiy shows his mettle.

quote:
The morning after Russian missiles rained down on Kyiv, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy addressed the nation in his favourite style: the selfie video.

Unshaven, wearing a khaki jacket and flashing a smile, he told the nation that contrary to reports of him trying to flee, he was staying put in the capital.

"Good morning to all Ukrainians! Lately there has been a lot of fake information online that I am calling on our army to lay down their arms and to evacuate. Listen. I am here," he said, in a video that received 3 million views on Instagram in an hour.

quote:
Vyachslav Volodin, speaker of Russia's lower house of parliament, asserted on Saturday without evidence that Zelenskiy had fled to the western city of Lviv and that his self-recorded video appearances were in fact pre-recorded.

There was heavy fighting in several parts of the country on Saturday including clashes in the capital, and there have been media reports of Zelenskiy declining offers from foreign governments to be evacuated.

Asked to comment on the reports, Zelenskiy's spokesman said: "The president stays in Kyiv, the president stays with his people. No one will run away or drop weapons."

https://www.reuters.com/world/...r-attack-2022-02-26/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That was a terrific article by Friedman.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
That was a terrific article by Friedman.

Agreed, thanks for posting it WTG.

I shared this on FB yesterday about my Friday class:

In my 4000-level Japanese class today we spent the lesson talking about what’s happening in Ukraine. I showed them some Japanese news sites and walked them through various vocab items needed to be able to talk about what is happening.

Then I added a few words we hadn’t got to yet. When I taught them the word 平和 “peace,” my eyes filled with tears and I couldn’t continue.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Friedman ALWAYS has a great in-depth perspective.

My fervent hope is that Russian domestic opinion will bring this to a halt. I also cannot help but wonder if his military thinks him insane.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
So this precisely is what the Russians have been (so brilliantly) priming the pump for with their infiltration of Facebook and elsewhere. They even succeeded in targeting individuals according to their identified background opinions, with exquisite attention to detail. All those fake news items they planted (knowing the recipients would themselves spread the contagion)! Sorry to sound like Trump, but it's true.

Their campaign to sow divisiveness was brilliantly executed - and so inexpensively, they spammed the whole nation.

That's how they softened up our population's ability to act with resolve and as a unified country at all. Their blitz of the Social Media brought us to the brink of Civil War, all from within.

All they'd have to do at this point, is to lightly push the last domino in the set they've lined up, for the US to collapse all the way. Yes, it WAS "genius". They didn't even have to spend any lives, weaponry, or waste more than a few grains of ricin to win.

It was a careful campaign partnered by Mark Zuckerberg in particular. (Who cares if we're getting paid in rubles, right?)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post