well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Is fiat currency good or bad?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is fiat currency good or bad?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
Serious question.

I know little about this. The gold standard, the Nixon administration iirc, MMT-- I don't know why but I don't know how to put this question in context.

PD, jon, Quirt, others whom I know have experience, and everyone else, I'd appreciate hearing your comments.

Posts: 25197 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
We're not far off from moving to all digital currency if the "conspiracy theorists" are right.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Fiat currencies are neutral in the moral sense. The usual definition says “fiat” currency means one not tethered to a physical commodity. But ultimately whether something is “currency” depends on the public’s faith — if not in the issuing authority then in the chosen commodity. In that sense every currency is “fiat” by faith.

Whether fiat currency is good in the practical sense depends on context — good for what? Good for whom? Under what conditions?

Whether the currency is “digital” has nothing to do with whether it is “fiat.” One can digitize the Dollar regardless of whether it is “fiat” or backed by gold.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12730 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ax.

It's interesting you use the word faith.

I think this is the aspect of currency, the central one, in fact, I can't help thinking of as strange.

Polynesians used shells as currency.

Maybe it shouldn't but linking representations of value with faith seems kind of arbitrary to me.

I understand many of the social sciences in either explicit or intuitive ways, first on my list being political science followed closely by history, followed by sociology, etc., but have little to no real aptitude for economics.

I don't know why.

Thanks, again.

Polynesians

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Of course it's faith. Otherwise why would people surrender useful goods for useless pieces of paper?

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13643 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post