well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The view from Russia's neighbors

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The view from Russia's neighbors
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Putin's invasion of Ukraine shocked governments across the world who thought it would never happen.

But Russia's Baltic neighbors were not surprised, and had been trying for years to warn of a war.

Leaders in those countries described to Insider the grim experience of being proved right.

quote:
Šimonytė [Lithuania's prime minister] said Lithuania's approach was informed by the fact that "many of the people who went through the hell of Soviet occupation are still living — including myself."

She said it left Lithuania with "a very sensitive ear to what was happening" in Russia as it prepared to invade, all the while denying that it had any intention of starting a war.

"Some of our friends in other countries were kind of thinking it cannot be like this, this is not rational, let's be realistic, you are paranoid, and this sort of stuff. And I think it was delusional."

She said the "major difference" was western Europe enjoying 80 years of peace after World War II, whereas "for us, this is not the case because first we had to live through 50 years of occupation of the Soviet regime, and then slightly more than 30 years of our restored independence."

"So the memory is still living."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...4e06ac6f67e1fa3d62d1

The documentary The Other Dream Team is an interesting look at basketball in Lithuania. The key players talk about having to play for the USSR, and then playing for an independent Lithuania. Interesting mix of basketball and politics.

Where to watch...

https://decider.com/movie/the-other-dream-team/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The Baltics abuse their Russian residents and they're an integral part of the Russian patrimony since the 18th century ...

Admitting them to NATO is just American imperialism designed to destroy the Russian nation. They will be reabsorbed in good time, as soon as Russia completes the de-Nazification of Ukraine.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's all a plot. The Lithuanians are on a mission to revive the Grand Duchy.

quote:
For millennia the southeastern shores of the Baltic Sea were inhabited by various Baltic tribes. In the 1230s, Lithuanian lands were united by Mindaugas, becoming king and founding the Kingdom of Lithuania on 6 July 1253.

In the 14th century, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania was the largest country in Europe; present-day Lithuania, Belarus, most of Ukraine, and parts of Poland and Russia were all lands of the Grand Duchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Lithuania

ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Kewl. I've always thought the map of Europe in the late middle ages was intriguing, with Lithuania as the largest "state." In quotes because nothing in those days could be called a nation state in the modern sense of the word.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
This is what the evil NATO-spawned leaders in Vilnius are plotting...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
h/t George K

quote:
„Human Life Has No Value There“: Baltic Counterintelligence Officers Speak Candidly About Russian Cruelty

The Estonian weekly Eesti Ekspress interviewed the heads and several employees of Estonia’s, Latvia’s, and Lithuania’s state security agencies. This is what they had to say regarding Russia.

Site comes up in Estonian. "Privaatsussated" translates to privacy settings, and from what I could tell they only use necessary cookies. I clicked through and the article came up in English.

https://ekspress.delfi.ee/arti...bout-russian-cruelty

Bazootiehead-in-training