well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Take a stand 18! In the bag?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take a stand 18! In the bag?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Vacuum cleaners:

Bagged or bagless?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34944 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Bagless!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
No opinion. We have one of each. The bagged one is the famed Hoover Wind Tunnel. The other’s a lightweight Shark corded one for the upstairs, so we don’t have to drag the Hoover up there.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Also one of each.

The bagless (for area rugs) is especially satisfying to see all the cat hair and dump it out. (Hoover Wind Tunnel).

Small canister vac with bag for hardwood floors.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I use a small Orek (bag) for service calls. Bagless at home.

Side note: change and/or wash those bagless filters!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Our house has a central vac. Never even knew they existed before moving here, but it's life changing. I can't imagine not having one now.

(And it's bagless.)

Posts: 4403 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Both cause allergy problems when emptying. The solution
is to get someone else to run the vacuum and empty it. Smiler
So
far I am having no luck with that.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Both cause allergy problems when emptying. The solution
is to get someone else to run the vacuum and empty it. Smiler
So
far I am having no luck with that.
I’m not allergic, but I find that this is another good use for all those masks we bought to fight off Covid. I even mask up when dusting of sweeping especially dusty areas.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
husband is always ragging on me to wear a surgical mask while filling hay nets so i don't get farmer's lung. but i don't. and you guys wear them to vacuum?!?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21349 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:

Good advice.

What prompted this post was receiving a 6 month old Shark “Professional” vac as a gift because it didn’t work. Never mind that there isn’t a professional cleaner out there who uses a Shark - it’s a really nice vacuum for home use even though it’s a throwaway.

Turned out the (3) filters had never been changed and were hopelessly blocked. I cleaned them up and now it works great! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34944 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Bagless.

Has anyone failed to empty their bag in time and had it explode mid-vacuum? Should I even out myself by asking that question?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:

Good advice.

What prompted this post was receiving a 6 month old Shark “Professional” vac as a gift because it didn’t work. Never mind that there isn’t a professional cleaner out there who uses a Shark - it’s a really nice vacuum for home use even though it’s a throwaway.

Turned out the (3) filters had never been changed and were hopelessly blocked. I cleaned them up and now it works great! ThumbsUp

Actually our cleaning person a few years ago requested the Shark "professional" when we were going to shop for another vac. But yes, I suspect that most of the bagless vacs in use aren't getting the filters changed or cleaned with any regularity...

I've always been a bit of a nut about vacuums - even used a couple of rainbows (water filter) for a number of years. MrsTuner always joked about me searching for the next best system! I do think that a quality bagged system probably does better at filering than bagless. And it is good to empty either a little sooner rather than later!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Bagless.

Has anyone failed to empty their bag in time and had it explode mid-vacuum? Should I even out myself by asking that question?

No.

But has anyone accidentally pressed the button too hard when removing the canister from a bagless vac and had the little door on the bottom pop open so that dust and dog hair fell out all over the floor?

Asking for a friend....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37895 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
At one time owned 9 vacuums. For whatever reason they fascinate me.

Now I’m down to only 6. Cool