well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The "Dr." controversy
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Dr." controversy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I wonder what Dr Kissinger thinks about it.....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Seriously, what an idiot jackass that guy is. (The author of the op Ed, not Kissinger).

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I saw a great line. Paraphrasing:

The entire op-ed could have been reduced to one sentence: "Back in my day we didn't have to show respect for women."

The Editor of the WSJ has come out in defense of the writer of the op-ed. If I had a WSJ subscription, I would cancel it. I did block it on my Apple News app.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That whole op-ed smacked of impotent jealous rage.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
...and he should have just signed it with the initials MCP.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
My favorite take was, I don't remember, in all the Indiana Jones movies, anyone saying he shouldn't be called Dr. Jones.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the op-ed, though I was aware of it. (can it be read w/o a subscription?)

I will say long before 2020, and without being specifically gendered, there has been plenty of commentary about PhDs using/overusing the title in normal life.

It's been said that there is an inverse correlation between use of the title and impact of the work. One wag put it as "I've never met a physicist who went by 'Dr' and I've never met an Education PhD who didn't"

I think, if anything, that latter point is 'exculpatory' for Jill Biden. It's ubiquitous in her field. (The Superintendent in our little school district is 'Dr Brady'.)

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Another observation, his op-ed is leading to a backlash and will increase the usage of the title among humanities PhDs.

There's a movement right now on progressive twitter asking all women to put their educational letters after their handles, whatever those letters might be.

That's kind of ironic, as credentials are mechanisms of social hierarchy.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Several decades ago when my brother was on his way to Reed College, there was some form sent to the parents and asked for their preferred salutation, including:
Mr.
Ms.
Mrs.
Dr. and Mrs.
Dr. and Mr.
Dr. and Dr.

Of course, that was before they would include
Mr. and Mr.
Mrs. and Mrs.
...and maybe a few others.

My father had a PhD in mathematics. He only ever used "Dr." on published papers and maybe his resume. My brother has a PhD in chemistry. I have no idea how he prefers to be called.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Someone with a PhD (or MD or DVM or a bunch of others) has met the requirements of an educational institution to be accorded the degree.

They are entitled to use the title "doctor", both professionally and socially.

https://www.traditioninaction....ions/F063_Titles.htm

It's pretty straightforward.

And like I said, I doubt that WSJ guy would have broached the subject with Henry.

This has nothing to do with the title, and everything to do with the fact that her last name is Biden, and that she's a woman.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

I will say long before 2020, and without being specifically gendered, there has been plenty of commentary about PhDs using/overusing the title in normal life.

It's been said that there is an inverse correlation between use of the title and impact of the work. One wag put it as "I've never met a physicist who went by 'Dr' and I've never met an Education PhD who didn't"

I think, if anything, that latter point is 'exculpatory' for Jill Biden. It's ubiquitous in her field. (The Superintendent in our little school district is 'Dr Brady'.)

Yes indeed on all points.

I don't know anyone in my field who demands Dr. as their title. We'll accept it when people we don't know use it in email requests for instance, but if it's from someone we are likely to correspond with regularly I find a way to get rid of the Dr. title quickly.

I understand that the root of "doctor" has nothing to do with medicine. But to most academics, or at least to the ones I have much regular contact with, "professor" is the usual title students and other people we don't know tend to use, and 'first name' is what we move to pretty quickly for most professional relationships. If another Ph.D. insisted that I call him/her Dr., I would do it, but I would also think that behavior very odd to say the least.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Several decades ago when my brother was on his way to Reed College, there was some form sent to the parents and asked for their preferred salutation, including:
Mr.
Ms.
Mrs.
Dr. and Mrs.
Dr. and Mr.
Dr. and Dr.

Of course, that was before they would include
Mr. and Mr.
Mrs. and Mrs.
...and maybe a few others.

My father had a PhD in mathematics. He only ever used "Dr." on published papers and maybe his resume. My brother has a PhD in chemistry. I have no idea how he prefers to be called.

A close family friend who was my pediatrician always introduced herself as Dr in professional settings, but never mentioned it when she met new people socially. Her choice. But with the academic degree she earned the right to the title.

I think it's absurd to try to ascribe some degree of "worthiness", depending on their field of work. It just doesn't work that way.

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's kind of ironic, as credentials are mechanisms of social hierarchy.

Yes

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I didn't read the op-ed, though I was aware of it. (can it be read w/o a subscription?)

I got to it via Google News:

quote:
Is There a Doctor in the White House? Not if You Need an M.D

Jill Biden should think about dropping the honorific, which feels fraudulent, even comic.

Madame First Lady—Mrs. Biden—Jill—kiddo: a bit of advice on what may seem like a small but I think is a not unimportant matter. Any chance you might drop the “Dr.” before your name? “Dr. Jill Biden ” sounds and feels fraudulent, not to say a touch comic. Your degree is, I believe, an Ed.D., a doctor of education, earned at the University of Delaware through a dissertation with the unpromising title “Student Retention at the Community College Level: Meeting Students’ Needs.” A wise man once said that no one should call himself “Dr.” unless he has delivered a child. Think about it, Dr. Jill, and forthwith drop the doc.

I taught at Northwestern University for 30 years without a doctorate or any advanced degree. I have only a B.A. in absentia from the University of Chicago—in absentia because I took my final examination on a pool table at Headquarters Company, Fort Hood, Texas, while serving in the peacetime Army in the late 1950s. I do have an honorary doctorate, though I have to report that the president of the school that awarded it was fired the year after I received it, not, I hope, for allowing my honorary doctorate. During my years as a university teacher I was sometimes addressed, usually on the phone, as “Dr. Epstein.” On such occasions it was all I could do not to reply, “Read two chapters of Henry James and get into bed. I’ll be right over.”

I was also often addressed as Dr. during the years I was editor of the American Scholar, the quarterly magazine of Phi Beta Kappa. Let me quickly insert that I am also not a member of Phi Beta Kappa, except by marriage. Many of those who so addressed me, I noted, were scientists. I also received a fair amount of correspondence from people who appended the initials Ph.D. to their names atop their letterheads, and have twice seen PHD on vanity license plates, which struck me as pathetic. In contemporary universities, in the social sciences and humanities, calling oneself Dr. is thought bush league.

The Ph.D. may once have held prestige, but that has been diminished by the erosion of seriousness and the relaxation of standards in university education generally, at any rate outside the sciences. Getting a doctorate was then an arduous proceeding: One had to pass examinations in two foreign languages, one of them Greek or Latin, defend one’s thesis, and take an oral examination on general knowledge in one’s field. At Columbia University of an earlier day, a secretary sat outside the room where these examinations were administered, a pitcher of water and a glass on her desk. The water and glass were there for the candidates who fainted. A far cry, this, from the few doctoral examinations I sat in on during my teaching days, where candidates and teachers addressed one another by first names and the general atmosphere more resembled a kaffeeklatsch. Dr. Jill, I note you acquired your Ed.D. as recently as 15 years ago at age 55, or long after the terror had departed.

The prestige of honorary doctorates has declined even further. Such degrees were once given exclusively to scholars, statesmen, artists and scientists. Then rich men entered the lists, usually in the hope that they would donate money to the schools that had granted them their honorary degrees. (My late friend Sol Linowitz, then chairman of Xerox, told me that he had 63 honorary doctorates.) Famous television journalists, who passed themselves off as intelligent, followed. Entertainers, who didn’t bother feigning intelligence, were next.

At Northwestern, recent honorary-degree recipients and commencement speakers have included Stephen Colbert and Seth Meyers. I sent a complaining email to the school’s president about the low quality of such men as academic honorands, with the result that the following year the commencement speaker and honorand was Billie Jean King —who, with the graduating members of the school’s women’s tennis team, hit tennis balls out to the audience of graduating students and the parents who had paid $70,000 a year for their university education, or perhaps I should say for their “credential.”

Political correctness has put paid to any true honor an honorary doctorate may once have possessed. If you are ever looking for a simile to denote rarity, try “rarer than a contemporary university honorary-degree list not containing an African-American woman.” Then there are all those honorary degrees bestowed on Bill Cosby, Charlie Rose and others who, owing to their proven or alleged sexual predations, have had to be rescinded. Between the honorary degrees given to billionaires, the falsely intelligent, entertainers and the politically correct, just about all honor has been drained from honorary doctorates.

As for your Ed.D., Madame First Lady, hard-earned though it may have been, please consider stowing it, at least in public, at least for now. Forget the small thrill of being Dr. Jill, and settle for the larger thrill of living for the next four years in the best public housing in the world as First Lady Jill Biden.

Sorry, I find this guy impossible to take seriously. If he wanted to make a point, he should have made it without mentioning Jill Biden. Otherwise he's just clickbaiting.

YMMV.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I wonder what Dr Kissinger thinks about it.....

Excellent, wtg. I've already used your example in two communications today.

All really relevant in making this distinction is when it's important to make it clear that a non-medical doctor (a "Phud" as a friend refers to his title) isn't trained to intervene in physical emergencies.

I.e., when airline personnel call out "is there a doctor in the house?" and an academic doctor doesn't think to call attention to themselves.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post