well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A Bun Dance. Ax?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Bun Dance. Ax?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Tried a new Chinese restaurant tonight called A Bun Dance Culinary. Kim raved about the place but it might be the strangest food I’ve ever eaten.

Here’s a story about the owners.

I like Asian food and have eaten many kinds but I could not identify the flavors in anything we had. Maybe cilantro and pepper but that’s it. Very strange - and with a strange aftertaste as well, to the point the water started tasting funny. I won’t say I didn’t like it but if I go back I’ll definitely try different dishes.

The chef came over and talked to us and she was very nice. Told us she blends flavors from all over China. I wanted to like it but I think it might take some training to get used to it. Sharon’s not going near the place any time soon.

Ax, do you have any idea what they’re doing in that kitchen?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34974 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I discovered a Chinese place out here that also offers unusual spices and flavors that I can’t identify. And I love it! I am sure such places are easy to find in hip Brooklyn and Manhattan, but it’s nice to find it out here.

We also have two large Asian markets and Indian, middle Eastern and Eastern European markets and restaurants. That’s a recent development.

The dominant food here is Italian. And it’s good; almost all are independent small places, and residents don’t tolerate the chains like Carrabba’s or Domino’s.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
nd with a strange aftertaste as well, to the point the water started tasting funny.

Interesting.

I wonder if that is the effect of cooking with szechwan peppercorn. I've had similar dishes that affected taste and made even water taste funny afterward.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Ax, do you have any idea what they’re doing in that kitchen?
No idea, but fully support your decision to try something different or not go back. Taste is subjective after all. No matter how interesting the background story, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yes, that sounds like Mala spice. It can be disconcerting. Steve, did you by any chance feel a bit of numbness in your tongue?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
(Peppercorns)

Yes, that’s it. We have some of those peppercorns in the cupboard and I tasted one.

Crazy thing is I woke up this morning craving the leftovers!

Posts: 34974 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
(Numbness)

Yes - or maybe a tingle.

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I was expecting, and hoping, to find a video of the dance Steve does when he has his hair in a bun, but am sorely disappointed.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a uh... nevermind

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mala! That’s it!

Even served in a pool of chili oil!

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yep, the place I mentioned was mala too. Intriguing flavors!

I put Szechuan peppers in my stir fry sometimes.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Tucson has Asian restaurants. Have not found a
really good one yet.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I asked my friend in Tucson for recommendations. His tastes run to fast food and he recommends Yoshinoya. I recommend it too - they had them in CA and the flavor is unmatched. SK says they have them in Japan and Mr. SK likes the food. Try the table seasoning.

For something more upscale, he and both his kids recommend Takamatsu. www.takamatsu.net

Trendy and downtown he suggests OBON. www.obonsushi.com. Ron's not big on trendy/downtown/parking structures/etc. (he's a very practical retired engineer) but he ends up there for birthdays and such and everyone likes it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Steve.
Looking for dinner downtown on the 23rd. We are going to hear Squirrel Nut Zippers. Not sure why.
OBON is on the other end of downtown, but putting it on my list.
Checking out the other two.
Found Ja Ramen close to the music venue. Will try tthat.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Late entries are Miss Saigon and Jun Dynasty. Both are described as small, non descript places with great food.