well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A dog for Mr. SK.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A dog for Mr. SK.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
What kind of dog do you think Mr. SK wants? (I think Husky).

What kind of dog do you think he should get? (Poodle/retriever mix).

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I won't chime in until some other people comment...

Ole

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It depends on what kind of activity level you want and how much you care about hair and barkin.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Hmmm ... I think he wants a little dog.

But I think he should get a boxer!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
hair and barkin

I think I'm the one who cares about hair and barkin. WhoMe

Are boxers big beefy dogs? Need to google a pic...

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They aren't huge. But the ones I've met are drooly.

Says the woman who used to live with a Newfoundland....

Not a fan of dogs with docked tails. No wags.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the ones I've met are drooly.

Says the woman who used to live with a Newfoundland....

Big Grin

quote:
docked tails. No wags.

Oh Mr SK wouldn't like that!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Boxers are 50 pounds, maybe a little more, I’d guess. But active. Not triathlete active like our Vizsla or a German shorthair pointer, but very active.

You can look up sizes on the AKC website. (My guess on boxers was a little low … it’s 65-80 pounds.)

Huskies are active, too.

It’s all a tradeoff between size, activity level, hair, friendliness, barking, etc.

And gender. There are big behavior differences between the genders in certain breeds.

Make sure, if you get a puppy, that you go to puppy training classes. It’s to train the owner as much as the dog.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Maybe a Japanese breed? Alita. Beautiful dogs but reputation isn’t good. Lots of shedding.

Or a Sheba Inu. Neighbor had one. Intensely focused on vermin eradication, less than focused on my neighbor. If your new place has rats, mice, lizards or stink bugs you’ll be very happy with a Shiba Inu.

Best you don’t get a hamster.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Maybe a dog that needs lots of grooming. I hear Mr. SK is good with the hedges…

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
stink bugs

Wait, can a dog be a bug deterrent??

quote:
I hear Mr. SK is good with the hedges…

He is indeed. Ole

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The only flavor dog I’ve lived with was a border collie. They are very intelligent and need a job. George was about 40 lbs. A manageable size.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
small dog=small doo doo
Your husband probably knows what he wants. If he gets what he wants you can remind him of that when problems occur. Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
mr sk is getting a dog?? we get to have a dog shopping thread too?? oh goody!! Ole

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
big advantage to adopting from the animal shelter--what you see is what you get. puppies are an unknown quantity. you can screen breeders and visit and research and study--and the puppy you get can still grow up to be a major disappointment and not at all what you were expecting from the breed.

i did the purebred thing for about 40 years. i had two great dogs that nevertheless had terrible health problems. And i had plenty of behavioral problems that were inherited. this was even with doing all the due diligence in the world.

after the last purebred dog i decided to go to the animal shelter. the dog i adopted there was the best dog i have ever had. right off we knew he didn't shed, didn't slobber, was quiet, was obedient, was a great running companion, was not aggressive, liked all people and other dogs, was tractable. he was five years old and long past needing training or housebreaking. there was an adjustment period, of course, as with any dog coming from a shelter, but it was a glorious thing to see him decide we were his forever people and our home was his forever home.

i still miss him.

i've got two shelter dogs right now. their dispositions were obvious from the moment we met them. this is a big part of the unknown when you get a puppy--you can't know ahead of time what their dispositions will be.

if you are first time dog owners, beware of thinking that getting a particular breed will result in a particular personality. they are individuals.

i'm a shelter convert. no more puppies for me!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post